Exetel Plan changes (yes, again)

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Exetel Plan changes (yes, again)

Post by Mort » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am

I guess with Exetel operating on the fine profit margins they do means they are going to need to "tweak" their service offerings more often to match market offerings. While sometimes the changes are annoying, they generally work out for the best.

Take my recent change for example
I was paying $50/month for naked ADSL2 (Exetel resell Optus) with static IP and VoIP DID included that gave me 30GB peak/Unlimited offpeak download that I never use anyway. I usually spend about $7/month on VoIP call. On top of that I have a second PSTN line with Telstra as a backup for the VoIP which costs me about $23/month and is really only used for incoming calls.

Optus is now giving Exetel a bundle package which I just swtiched to (at no cost)
For $60/month I now get a full ADSL2 with active PSTN service (no longer naked) as well as the static IP and VoIP DID that has 200GB download (any time, no peak/offpeak) and includes unlimited free local and interstate calls and free call to Optus Mobiles. They also drop the $3 admin fee I was paying for the old plan, and I can port my Telstra PSTN number over as the new PSTN number and cancel the Telstra service (again)

I'm sure there is logic in the reasons for this offer, but I can't see it. I'm not going to complain though coz it works out about $33/month better for me with now even more download than I can consider needing.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Exetel Plan changes (yes, again)

Post by Piers » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 pm

I wish Telstra would bloody allow other providers in the Terrey Hills exchange.
I've recently changed my Exetel but the best they could offer me, as it's Telstra, is 220GB @ $68/mo plus the Telstra budget home phone at ~ $30/mo

I could save as much as oh, $2-5/mo, if I switched completely to Big Swamp, but I'd lose 100GB of traffic and be charged for uploads.
Considering how often I use the VPN for work, that's not an option...

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:50 pm

That's unfortunate. Maybe you should move and buy a house in a major city instead? :twisted:

Piers

Post by Piers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:30 am

Mort wrote:That's unfortunate. Maybe you should move and buy a house in a major city instead? :twisted:
Nah, I like the smell of horse manure too much. Reminds me of my childhood.
Tally ho! View halloo!