Vote LABOR! (NBN 3 year plan)

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Vote LABOR! (NBN 3 year plan)

Postby Mort » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Woot! I'm in the coverage area for the NBN 3 year plan.
http://www.nbnco.com.au/rollout/rollout-map.html

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: Vote LABOR! (NBN 3 year plan)

Postby KRaM » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:43 pm

Given I am in one of the safer Liberal seats its no suprise that I am in the "not yet commenced work" bucket - if anything I suspect they will be removing access to our area.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Senator Conroy said that there were 67 Labor electorates, 61 Coalition electorates and 6 crossbench electorates included in this phase of the rollout.

Mr Quigley dismissed claims the selected locations were due to political considerations.

"Our planners wouldn't know an electoral boundary if they fell over one," he said.

My seat is now a fairly safe Liberal seat as well, but I believe one of the key consideration was based on the backhaul capabilities from the Exchange in your area. Given the fact Telstra has really not bothered upgrading everything themselves, there are plenty of gaps in the exchange backhaul capacities to deal with first.

I'm surprised Piers house isn't on the list, after all, he lives out in regional Australia.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 pm

It's too right wing round here. Tony AND Bronwyn FFS!

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:38 am

Working down in Kiama for the next few weeks... and here's what an NBN connection looks like in the middle of the day when shared by an office of 250 people.

I want my NBN connection NOW :(

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:31 am

I'm getting my Optus cable updated next week that should see me with 80mbs down and 2 Mbs up. Looking forward to that.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:18 am

Do you know if Optus have removed the port blocking (25/80) or restrictions on running servers at home? I doubt I'd switch back to them because they probably still don't do static IP's. It's still the upload speed I need, and Optus won't increase the upload speed on their ADSL services because they don't want it to compete against the cable :(

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:57 pm

Good question, no answer for you. My current modem is 12 years old and I'm recently having some VOIP issues so I'm starting there. My Optus cable has been incredibly reliable and consistent for all of that time. So I bludgeoned a new modem out of them for postage. If that alone doesn't fix the problem I will upgrade the bandwidth. 4X what I'm getting now both up and down is what I should get. Somewhere between 60-80mbs, which will be nice.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:18 pm

Optus and Telstra are probably *finally* able to offer those speeds because enough people have left the network now to free up the bandwidth :)

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:34 pm

Downloading Windows 8 (3.5GB) over the NBN ~7minutes - sweet
NBN-Microsoft download.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Now this is looking more like it

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon May 27, 2013 4:35 pm

It would really suck to live in Terrey Hills or Frenchs Forest now. They are both listed on the 3yr plan starting in 2015. Still several years away at best, but the way things are going it looks like even those hopes are going to be ripped away...

(still has fingers crossed that "construction starting June 2013" means contracts will be signed before election.)

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue May 28, 2013 7:45 pm

i'm not even on the 3 year plan...

ACE
One of the guys
One of the guys

Postby ACE » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi People
Any news on Turnbull's NBN? I have tried Telstra and Malcom Turnball and can't get any information on when I will get NBN they both refer me to old announcements and they say the NBN is under review. Turnbull promised his NBN would be done faster and cheaper (never mind he was told he could not and after the election had a review that found indeed he was wrong and could not do it Turnbull said he had underestimated the condition of the network as he had been warned pre election), under Labor's NBN I was due to get fibre to the home in 2015 under their build plan so Turbull is running out of time. The last I heard he seemed to be pushing his NBN out till 2019 just one year short of Labor's 2020 NBN finish date :Hangman:

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:33 am

NBN is no longer releasing details of "in planning" areas, only the areas where actual on-the-ground deployment is happening. The NBNCo website is the only reference you can find out current progress. The only "new" activity that is really starting is the trial sites that have been announced for the FTTN deployments.

Interestingly, the Libs policy on their website still has the original promises, even though Malcolm and friends no longer publicly make those same claims
https://www.liberal.org.au/fast-afforda ... better-nbn

As for the MINIMUM 25MB speeds by 2016 and 50MB by 2019, that has been *revised* somewhat. The minimum 25MB became "up-to" shortly after the election (apparently we mis-heard), and then a few months after that was dropped completely when Malcolm realised that the Telstra agreement wasn't going to be the walk in the park he expected it to be. The Telstra agreement is still pending, and the 2019 date is incredibly unlikely to be possible.

• To deliver the minimum FTTN speeds, he would need his 60,000 node cabinets deployed. To do that by end of 2016 would require the installation of 540 cabinets EVERY WEEK, including the cutover and re-patching of every single copper pair to the cabinet. The actual number of cabinets required to deliver 50MB minimums will be higher still
  • There is still NO PLAN at all for how the existing HFC cable system can be integrated. Either at the network or the billing process, or if it is even possible to run it as a wholesale service (There is no provider ANYWHERE in the world that operates a HFC cable network as a wholesale offering, because they are not designed to be able to)
  • Fibre to the basement (FTTB) deployments by TPG and Telstra are going to demolish Malcolm plans because they will lock-in high-density areas to those providers. Malcolm is now struggling to impose new rules and restrictions to prevent them taking the NBNCo high-margin customers that were supposed to help subsidies the bush

Return to “The Watercooler”