Digital TV Antenna

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Digital TV Antenna

Postby Mort » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 pm

During the restoration of our roof, the old analogue TV antenna had to come down. The crappy cable and splitter box attached to it didn't survive the dismount, and as a result I figured it would be about time to get a new antenna and cabling put in. We'd always had problems with the reception being interupted when certain lights or appliances were turned on/off, and I knew the cabling had some dodgy splicing in the roof already.

I did some looking around at pricing the bits and pieces and was just going to do it myself, but decided to call one of the professional companies to see what their prices were like. I had figured it would cost me about $240 in parts (including buying a proper crimping tool). The price I got from the antenna guy was $475. At that point doing it myself seemed like the way to go. I was just going to use the existing cable to "pull" the new one anyway, so no major dramas there. Just trying to figure out the right type of cable, the right connectors etc was trickier than I thought.

The day after the antenna guy gave me a quote, I got a TXT from their head office saying they had a great special on and could do it for $420. Thanks, but no thanks, still too expensive. Another day, and another TXT... $380. Hmm. Getting better.

So, I asked, how about $350 and you put in a 4-way splitter as well (for future points I've got planned)... a few minutes later... agreed.

The dude showed up this morning, did a great job with remounting the new antenna (it's *tiny* compared to the old thing, smaller than the one I had planned to buy), pulled the cable and crimped everything the way it should be. Once all connected up the TV is reporting 99% on both signal strength and quality on all channels. Awesome!

"Only one small issue" he said... the signal strength is too high (about 90dB), it would never have occured to me that "too high" could be a problem. Apparently though if the signal is too strong it will cause the digital signal to break up in the same way as a weak signal, so if you are seeing a high signal strength, but low quality, that might be why!

The fix is easy though, he just put a couple of attenuators on the cable to drop it by 20dB (plus another 8dB from the splitter). The advantages of having the little boxed they carry that can measure signal strength and quality properly.

I related this story to a guy here at work and he had a similar experience. He had crap reception and put a masthead amplifier on thinking that would fix it. When he had a house reno done he had someone come check it out and his problem was the same. Signal too strong. When he had put the amplifier on, he actually made it worse.

The wrap-up from this story is that:
1. Getting a DIGITAL antenna to replace that ancient old analogue one is well worth it
2. Getting it installed by a professional is worth it
3. Don't be afraid to haggle them down on price!

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Digital TV Antenna

Postby Brad » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks. We have no antenna at present - relying on foxtel for the main tv, but would like to put one in at some stage. I was always sceptical that the installer was worth the money for something I could do myself.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Digital TV Antenna

Postby Mort » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:04 pm

I was the same, but for $100 extra it just wasn't worth the hassle of hoping I just happened to get it all right. As it turned out it was the right call to get the other dude in.

Return to “The Watercooler”