Astrophotography

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Astrophotography

Postby Mort » Fri May 16, 2014 12:56 am

With some absolutely beautiful clear nights lately, and co-incidentally an occultation of Saturn (Saturn being "eclipsed" by the Moon) it seemed like a good opportunity to have another go at the taking photos thing again.

Mucking around with the different combinations of lenses and my T-Mount managed to get a couple of goodish photos.

I'm guessing that people with photos showing a nicely exposed Moon AND Saturn in the same shot are cheating a bit and actually creating a composite of two photos with each exposed correctly.... however I have seen a video of it where both were quite clear. If it's possible to get a shot with two very differently "lit" objects it's beyond my ken.

One thing I did discover though is that I can shorten the T-Mount down and with just the 2x Barlow I get a perfect fit for the moon as a full frame. I suspect my Telescope might need a collimation though as I start to see the colours separate once I try to get higher magnifications. That could also just be the weight of my camera pushing the focuser off centre.

I've also had problems getting any of the stacking programs to work. The only I can get working on Win8 doesn't do "planet stacking". Registax and K3CCD both crash or lock up at various points. Looks like I'll have to do some manual stacking in Photopaint myself.

Saturn - you can see the rings pretty clearly at the moment. The higher magnification eyepieces don't work well with the Camera so this is as clear as I can get it with a single shot (slightly enlarged)
IMG_5107 (2) (1024x738).jpg

This is about the best I could get with Saturn being visible, and the moon not being a *completely* solid white ball
saturn_occultation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Re: Astrophotography

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri May 16, 2014 6:00 am

good work!
inspires me to get back into it!

as for stacking- you may need fork out some cash for a commercial product.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 16, 2014 4:45 pm

DJDrDamage wrote:good work!
inspires me to get back into it!

as for stacking- you may need fork out some cash for a commercial product.

I suspect so, but there don't seem to be any "recent" blogs or guides by anyone regarding stacking, so knowing which programs will work on Win8 seems to be a bit tricky.

Maybe I'll just build up an XP virtual machine and do my stacking work in that... hmm...

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri May 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Aren't you a member of ice in space? What do they say?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 16, 2014 10:30 pm

I did a quick search but nothing exhaustive, and the only things that came up were the old guides for registax etc which haven't been updated in YEARS. I kinda gave up asking questions there coz they just don't really seem interested (or not many do anyway) in helping noobs with "dumb" questions.

Last time I asked a question, I didn't get a single response. Someone else asked a similar question a few weeks later and got several. It's like they just look at the top one or two posts and maybe reply if they feel up for it. I wasn't expecting exhaustive details or anything, but I guess I just lost interest in them.

I guess most of the astronomy crowd are older peeps who are more likely to spend money on their scopes than on upgrading their PC's :)

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Thu May 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Mort wrote:I guess most of the astronomy crowd are older peeps who are more likely to spend money on their scopes than on upgrading their PC's :)

that's about it.
well, not really. I am surprised some of the technically-minded did not reply, as I thought someone would have had the same problem...

still, i reckon you probably don't really need help and will just sort it out...

Return to “The Watercooler”