Oculus time it seems

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Oculus time it seems

Postby Jeff » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Hey Guys

So the boss for sometime has been saying we need to appeal to gamers. I have a z97 extreme6 test bench that I use for work testing faulty Samsung XP941's that we sell truck loads of. So the boss says lets game it up and that Oculus rift thing looks like fun. 15 minutes later one is heading its way to me, as well a GTX 750i which is not what I would have liked but there was a budget.

Anyway, aside from the Valve stuff what else has VR versions for the rift. Really just want to generate content and make us look a little more switched, plus are adding a bigger range of higher performance ram. I might have some fun along the way. Blake is certainly excited.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Oculus time it seems

Postby Piers » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:29 am

Brad has one...

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:42 pm

"Who Needs an Oculus Rift When You Can Just Strap Lego To Your Face"

http://gizmodo.com/who-needs-an-oculus-rift-when-you-can-just-strap-lego-t-1685392352

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:24 am

Yes Adrian, that is a great idea, now to get the $600 odd back :)

Yes, Brad does, I was wondering what he plays. He might not be dropping in often.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:31 pm

I play iRacing primarily. The rift works great with that and it is by far the best racing game I've found. The rift works with a few other racing games - Assetto Corsa is probably the best of those from all reports.

The other game I would like to be playing but haven't really had time is Elite Dangerous - which is absolutely spectacular in the rift, but is time consuming to really get anywhere.

The valve games work, but I'm not 100% convinced on the rift for FPS at this time. I was getting nauseous pretty quickly in HL2 with the rift. The movement speed is quite high and the stops are instantaneous. If tricks your inner ear and takes a lot of getting used to. People say you do get used to it over time (this is exactly why they have a warning for young kids with the rift...) but it is very unsettling. I'm not sure how much of it is tied to lag - the experience is very sensitive to any lagging and I didn't spend much time tweaking for HL2.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:14 am

Thanks Brad. Its set up now. I have the rift working in its demo mode. When I try and play Team Fortress in VR it shuts the game down. I'm sure it is just a setting thing I need to fiddle. Much to learn. I'd love to be playing iracing with it but no steering wheel. I'm not sure the boss will ante up for that.

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Make sure you set it up in extended mode.
Whilst native mode is lower latency, it has a fair bit more overhead and has many more setup issues so far.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:13 pm

Return to “The Watercooler”