Apple Watch

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Apple Watch

Postby Brad » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:02 pm

I went for a quick try on of the apple watch today - just to compare it to the pebble watch that I've been wearing for years.

A couple of quick impressions from someone who has worn a pebble watch for the two years
- it is surprisingly heavy - the sport version feels about 30% heavier than my pebble and the stainless steel version is heavier again.
- the screen is very pretty - you cant see any edges to the screen, but nobody is going to mistake this for anything other than a smart watch.
- the taps from the watch are very subtle. I'm used to a pebble buzzing away on my wrist and I think I'd easily miss the half the taps unless I was wearing the band annoying tight.
- the interface is terrible. Compared to my pebble it is completely non-intuitive. The staff showing it had trouble getting a few things to work and had to hunt to show me some things. It still feels like a whole heap of proof of concept stuff thrown together, rather than someone actually having a clue about what they wanted it to look like.

As it is, I'm not convinced enough to pay at least $580 for a version 1 of the apple watch. I'll stick with a pebble for $160 (or $250 for the fancier metal version). No doubt you'll be able to do much more with an apple watch, but I'm yet to be convinced that I want to. (And I'm completely used to my watch being waterproof enough to swim with it on, which the apple watch is not.)

For what it is worth, the "killer feature" of a smart watch for me is never missing a message or phone call. It is the one thing I have got so used to on my watch that I would find it hard to go without. The other apps are nice sometimes, but only in specific circumstances eg runkeeper giving splits on the watch rather than phone. I don't want to answer the phone on my watch - just to know when it is ringing.

We'll see what the apps are like, but at this stage I'd be willing to bet that they make the experience less cohesive rather than improving the situation.

Someone at apple needs to get a clue about what belongs on a watch and what doesn't, instead of just trying to rework the whole iphone interface onto a watch.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Apple Watch

Postby Mort » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:33 pm

Apple has lost the plot a bit. In some ways they are constrained by their success and now need to keep a level of consistency with what people know. They don't get the luxury of reinventing the UI much now.
A lot of features in iOS that have been added on to compete with other phone OS's look exactly like they have been "added on" rather than integrated.
I suspect the watch may have the same problem. The need to try and look familiar will hamper the ability to be fully functional on the new format it needs to be.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:34 pm

Having said all that, it will still be a raging success though.

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:14 am

Yep, and because it is a raging success the developers cant afford to ignore it. Hopefully said developers are willing to cover other wearable platforms as well.

I really don't get how people are willing to pay 15k+ for a watch that will stop working in about 2 years time. If the battery when new lasts 18 hours, within 2 years that is not going to last a day. And Apple have not said a word about any upgrade path for the watch.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:51 pm

The wanker edition does come with 2 years warranty instead of the one year the pleb versions get, so that makes it all ok.

And upgrade path is the same as all other Apple products... Buy the next version when the current one isn't as shiny

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:10 pm

I really don't get how people are willing to pay 15k+ for a watch that will stop working in about 2 years time

I am getting one for my cock - already wearing 3 on that appendage and there is still plenty of room.

ACE
One of the guys
One of the guys

Postby ACE » Tue May 05, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks Kram that's a mental image I did not need :|
I did laugh reading that the watch won't work thru tattoos as tattoos are so popular these days.
It does seem expensive. I have no need for one, I don't even have a smart phone and am Apple adverse.
Cya ACE :bear:

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue May 05, 2015 1:19 pm

Ars Technica review seems reasonable which in summary is "not particularly necessary and you should wait for the next model so all the bugs are ironed out" - not that anyone seems to be paying any attention given the demand for them!

Keith

ACE
One of the guys
One of the guys

Postby ACE » Tue May 05, 2015 2:22 pm

I have read different reviews from positive to negative. If you want to be alerted to emails or measure you pules etc there are uses for the Apple watch while other reviews focus on the negatives of how hard it can be to use or it being useless. The 18hr battery life would be a big issue for me. Yes many say wait till the next generation once they work out the bugs.
Cya ACE :bear:

Return to “The Watercooler”