Boned by Exetel

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Boned by Exetel

Postby Mort » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:19 pm

It would seem I am not alone, but Exetel has chosen to terminate my ADSL service. No notification or alternative options, just an email telling me they are terminating my service and giving me 30 days notice.

No idea why. I'm not a heavy user, around 200GB a month. No dodgy VPN's, no torrenting or movie download stuff, and been with them for over 10 years. From what I've seen, there's comments that it's 400 or so customers being dropped.

Pretty seriously dick move if it's correct, and not just a mistake in some automated system. If it is a mistake, then their current response of just quoting the letter saying "commercial decision, we gave you 30 days as required by law" is really not going to win them any friends.

So, long story short. Even if it is a mistake, this is enough for me to find another ISP anyway. :x

Recommendations anyone?

Not sure I can match current plan, but if I have to pay more, so be it. Currently $60 unlimited ADSL with phone line included and static IP.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: Boned by Exetel

Postby KRaM » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:14 am

Wow - why would they do that? I am with them as well and havent heard anything (yet).

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:10 pm

No idea why.

There's a mix of people from all around Oz. Different plans, different download users (some only 2.5GB/month!)

I called them and sent an email to their complaints address and all the do is quote the letter back saying "we are complying with the law by giving you 30 days notice"... and that's it.

Nobody has any idea why they've done it, they just say it's a management decision, and there's no option they are prepared to engage to fix whatever is the cause of the problem.

I've been with them longer than I've been with ANY other service, utility or bank. They've always been agressive towards seriously heavy downloaders, but this is a whole new insanity in customer PR.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 pm

How bizarre.

I've been with iinet forever and a day - have been happy with them, although the quality of my connection is driving me mad at present. Almost enough to consider switching to Telstra to get the cable connection. Not like I'm going to see NBN anytime in the next 10 years.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:29 pm

Doing the rounds at the moment. TPG have been the keenest to talk to me so far, and given the iiNet/TPG thing at the moment I'm not sure iiNet is the best value for money option given they seem to have suspended any network upgrades pending the final outcome of the deal.

But anyway, it's probably going to be painful, but fingers crossed I won't end up with something like a 10 day no connection period while they switch everything over.

Brad

Postby Brad » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:37 pm

yeah, but its TPG...
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:27 pm

yeah well, TPG internet would still be better than a terminated Exetel connection...

As it turns out I have been given a reprieve. Because I have my VoP phone with Exetel as a Corporate/Business plan (long story) they have *agreed* to rescind the termination. I don't know if this is a permanent thing or not, so I think I shall continue looking at options, but at least I seem to have some extra time up my sleeve.

I guess if they've taken me off the list, they'll have to now add the next person down instead. Still a pretty shitty way to treat customers.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:34 pm

Hey I might be the next person down!

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:32 am

Sorry dude.

But isn't it nice how they still include my long time customer loyalty discount on the same bill where they terminated my service without explanation
wp_ss_20150614_0002.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Piers

Postby Piers » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:40 pm

Are you getting them through the Optus or Telstra network? I'm wondering if one has pushed up the price of wholesale to resellers, making it unprofitable.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:15 am

Mine is through Optus. I believe there's only one reseller going through Telstra at the moment (Beyond?), but even so in the past they have always just ended the unprofitable plans and forced everyone onto a new plan that works for them. This time it wasn't even offered as an option.

As for unprofitable? I dunno. There was no pattern to the people that reported being terminated, so nobosy knows what the trigger was.

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Hmmm, I'm on Exetel via Telstra (only Telstra DLAM in TERR exchange) but I've just helped my in-laws escape their expensive BigPond onto Exetel via Optus so I hope they're not going to be forced off once the two year contract is up.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:22 pm

two years is a long time. Assuming this isn't an "exetel going out of business" thing then I would hope the internet landscape will be a lot different by then.

ACE
One of the guys
One of the guys

Postby ACE » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:28 am

Have there been any changes to the telecommunications act? I remember when Malcolm Turnbull changed it to stop one of the companies from providing fiber to Unit blocks in competition to the NBN. A complete bastard act after he had called for exactly that when in opposition. Now in government he blocks it.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:46 pm

He only wants competition *after* he's sold the NBN. Then the government has it's money and doesn't have to care about it anymore - sink or swim.

But no, this is nothing to do with the NBN or telecommnications act, it's just a dodgy decision made by someone for some (publicly) unknown reason.

Return to “The Watercooler”