Broadband - so this is what the fuss is about.

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Broadband - so this is what the fuss is about.

Postby Brad » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:49 pm

So, after trying to work from home last week and getting completely fed up with our lousy ADSL internet connection I finally got desperate enough to go back to Telstra. Signed up on Saturday, modem delivered by courier at 11am this morning and after a password reset, all working well.

Cable internet with their "superfast" package - 100mbps connection, and so far actually delivering on that:

Quality service from Telstra - will wonders never cease. Now, we'll see how well it holds up over time.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Broadband - so this is what the fuss is about.

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm

Uploads better than ADSL, but is that as good as they can offer? Last I checked Telstra still won't do static IP's etc. Do they block ports or not allow running servers from home?

Optus is having major pains with their cable service. They aren't really doing any capacity upgrades, probably coz selling HFC to NBN so why bother. One guy I work with was getting .4Mb/s download during peak times on his Optus cable. Ended up going to TIO who forced Optus to effectively credit him the cost of his service for the next four months because Optus said the upgrade for his area wasn't happening until next year.

Australia's broadband is such a mess. I was so looking forward to FTTP before the election.

Brad

Re: Broadband - so this is what the fuss is about.

Postby Brad » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:36 pm

This is the fastest they offer. Standard is 30Mbit, pay $20/mth for 100Mb. Given they gave me a $20/mth discount, I was comfortable giving it back to them for the upgrade. I've actually seen the downloads go a bit faster than 100Mb today, so no concerns on congestion during working hours. I don't tend to be doing so much downloading between 5 and 7 anyway, so I'm happy with things so far.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Return to “The Watercooler”