Thank the gods that's fracking over

This is a section to chat about anything that isn't relevant to any of the other forum areas. Discussions on PC watercooling should go in the Hardware forum :)
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Thank the gods that's fracking over

Postby Mort » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:19 pm

Yes I have only just today finished watching all of the "new" BattleStar Galactica series, so you can feel free to discuss it now without worrying about posting spoilers.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Re: Thank the gods that's fracking over

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:35 pm

we have been rewatching the series and still enjoy it. they've just met up with the Pegasus.

I thought the religious theme of the story was excellent, as was the "slavery" aspect of the classic cylons.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:49 pm

When you have a universe of technology and you want to look at the place of religion/spirituality in that universe, then I can see what they were trying to do. What irritates me though is when the writers effectively create situations that are complex to resolve they then (perhaps for brevity to keep the plot moving) suddenly "fix it" with something like a "vision" which really has no basis in their world, yet is accepted as a perfectly rational way to make a decision affecting the entire human race.

So really, I guess it isn't so different from all of human history IRL.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:40 pm

The whole Vision thing does generate some anger in our household.
I appreciated the Priest who seems to be the uber-rational cylon and whilst pretty psychotic was welcome relief from the religious mania at times.

I think it can be difficult for writers to come up with realistic reasons for conflict in Sci-Fi.
So, I appreciate the theme in BSG where it was a religious war
and for Babylon 5 it came down to differing views on how species should evolve, cooperation versus conflict.

compare that to Star Trek's universe where it just seems to be us versus them, for example Romulun versus Vulcans/Federation, Klingon versus everyone, Borg vs everyone, which can be seen as realistic but does not really allow for wider discussion and gets tedious after a while.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm

If it ever makes its way onto Australian TV, make sure that you watch the Expanse.

The books are from some of the guys behind game of thrones and are quite good SciFi. The TV series is better than the books, and the plot shortcuts actually simplify the story, rather than just leaving bits out.

The conflict stories drive the plot lines - Earth vs Mars vs belt and wider resource battle, overlaid with inter stellar alien impacts make for much more convincing motivating factors.

It just got renewed for a second season, so should make it out here eventually (SciFi channel stuff).
B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:34 pm

will check Expanse out if we can get it (maybe try netflix out at the same time) or wait for it on aussie TV.

We were watching Defiance but can't seem to get the latest season. we were going to give one more season a go as we felt that season 2 was not as good as season 1.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:46 pm

The top pick comment to this story is brilliant. Myself I do have to ask "Why?"

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/fe ... -star-wars

All of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.

And again. And again. And again.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Brad wrote:If it ever makes its way onto Australian TV, make sure that you watch the Expanse.

The books are from some of the guys behind game of thrones and are quite good SciFi

You mean the books are by some of the people behind the TV version of GoT? That's kind of an odd connection to draw on :)

Going to check out the first episode this weekend then and see how it looks. It looks interesting http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:09 pm

expanse is not on itunes.
bugger

Return to “The Watercooler”