Logitech Harmony 515 remote

Found a neat shockwave/flash online game? Post the link here for all to share.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Logitech Harmony 515 remote

Postby Mort » Tue May 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Got one of these for my bday and now I'm wondering why I avoided getting one for so long. It's just plain AWESOME.
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/remotes/u ... vices/4738

Just press the "Watch TV" button and it turns on the digital STB, turn on the TV, sets the TV source to the STB and done.
Press "Watch a DVD" and it turns on the DVD player and sets it to DVD input (it's also a HDD recorder), turns on the Stereo and sets it to TV input, turns on the TV and set it to the DVD input, and then plays the DVD. Press the "Watch TV" button and it turns off the DVD and Stereo, turns on the STB and switches the TV input to the STB. Bloody brilliant!

Theres some extra groovy tweaking I'm doing now with macros for extra complicated settings that don't have a standard button press to activate. If I wanted to it can even control the air conditioner!

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Re: Logitech Harmony 515 remote

Postby DJDrDamage » Wed May 26, 2010 2:50 pm

the lower model 515 is all you need, too.
I have one and generally like it, although took a bit to get it set up 95% correctly.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed May 26, 2010 5:55 pm

All the basic functions and activities worked straight away for me, even with the cheapo digital set top box. It's all the little fiddly functions mostly from that same STB that have been mapped to the wrong keys so I'll need to tweak those.

The biggest issue which I expected from any all-in-one is that it doesn't have all the buttons labeled that would match your normal remote, so you have to "learn" to set its buttons to match roughly a button from the original remote.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Thu May 27, 2010 2:45 pm

There's a Harmony 525 on 1-day today for a paltry $50...
http://www.1-day.com.au/products/ADPDAS8HA

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Plus another $6 shipping but still a good deal if you are after one. My 515 was $45 from JB, and I think they had the 525 for $60.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat May 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Just a tip for anyone who might be buying one of these types of remotes.

There is a learning mode where you can teach it from your original remote control. You have the option of learning the new codes and overwriting the existing "database" assigned codes. If you do this though and make a mistake, the only way to set the codes back to the database setting is to delete the device and add it again, then setup all the codes and activities.

The better option (although a bit more painful) is to create a new command for each button you want to create. That way you can assign the button to your new codes, and the database ones will still be there if you need to fallback to them.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon May 31, 2010 12:45 am

Just found another neat feature. The remote will put itself to sleep after a definable time to save power, but it has a sensor that knows when you pick it up again to turn itself back on. Nice.

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:17 am

Mort wrote:The better option (although a bit more painful) is to create a new command for each button you want to create. That way you can assign the button to your new codes, and the database ones will still be there if you need to fallback to them.

I reprogrammed the buttons for teletext which I would never use to do things like picture mode, aspect ratio, eject DVD, etc.
I also modified the activities to handle eccentricity of my TV. I think the Logitech database for my TV is slightly wack, if I switch to TV input I get analogue instead of digital, so I modified the action to switch to DTV. Similarly, the remote's idea of switching to component 2 is incomprehensible to the TV, so I modified it to be switch to Component 1/Switch to next input which works.

I suspect I need to respecify my TV model, but I used the model number on the back of the TV...

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:47 pm

I had the same sort of issue with my digital STB. The database for my model had all the codes, but they were assigned to different buttons/functions.

I just created a table in Excel, then pressed all the buttons to see what they really did and noted the correct function in my table. then I just went into the setup to assign each button to the actual code. I found it best to use the database codes rather than "learn" new codes if you can coz it can get tricky getting clean codes that don't act as multiple presses.

For example, the "Up" button didn't map properly to an existing code, and every time I would play back a learnt code it kept doing 2 ups instead. Took several goes before I got it to cleanly learn it as a single press.

Return to “Flash/Videos/Gadgets etc”