Windows 10 is here

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Windows 10 is here

Postby Mort » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:54 am

So far I've done 4 upgrades of the RTM version and had no issues at all. The laptop had me worried for a moment looking like it got stuck at 25%, but the hard drive was still doing stuff and it turned out just to be taking its time.

There is an amusing "Something Happened" error that a few people have seen (I didn't) but I expect Microsoft will get that sorted out pretty quickly so just make sure you select the option to download latest updates at the start of the process. If you do still get it, I've also read that changing your region settings to English-US will fix it.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: Windows 10 is here

Postby KRaM » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Upgraded the laptop upstairs with no problems at all - hasnt done the downstairs box yet - slowly slowly..........

Keith

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:08 pm

I've upgraded the kids desktop and carolyn's laptop. (It was already running on my desktop from the beta.)
On the desktop, the only issue was that I couldnt do a totally hands off install - Installing from a USB key, I needed to take the USB key out of the computer mid way through the process, otherwise it gave an error trying to reboot, then reverted back to Windows 7.

On the laptop, I'm having issues with the graphics. Works fine on the default MS driver, but once I install the Intel drivers it gets flakey. It was showing similar behavior under windows 8, so I suspect it is hardware getting flakey rather than anything to do with windows 10, but I was hoping windows 10 would fix the issue, rather than make it worse.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 pm

I just do the install direct from the ISO file. You don't need to make it a DVD or bootable USB. I was surprised how well the upgrades have worked considering how many times I went through it on the beta.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Updated the box downstairs this morning - went reasonably smoothly - had to reinstall the video drivers but other than that no problems.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:28 pm

Did the upgrade on an HP Stream 8 tablet. It's was much quicker to install than I expected and it runs really well.

This is just a tablet with only 1GB RAM, and given how well it goes, I'd say Win10 is pretty decent even on the really low specced machines.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:22 pm

after a couple of days with it I quite like Win10 -
- life at a glance via the start bar is useful and will probably see me never have to open Outlook again - now if I could only get my work calendar on it - hopefully they will ditch the apple phones and move to win phones (jeez I hate itunes)
- signing in with a PIN is convenient
- everything works no probs - only weird thing is if I shut down the PC restarts but I had this problem with Win7 for a while too - think I need to look at the drivers
- looking forward to trying out the voice activated siri thingy - could be useful if it works well

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:06 am

If you can get email on a phone now then you can get email in Windows 10. Just setup a new "Exchange" account and use your work email address. It should auto discover the mail settings if they have set it up correctly. At most you will need to go into advanced to enter the domain name and your username/password. You can get these by looking at the email settings on your phone.
Once the account is setup, you can then choose what things you want to sync... email, calendar and/or contacts.

The restarting thing is a bug for me as well. I suspect it is the known "constant reboot" issue which is being fixed atm.

Cortana (the "Siri" thing) worked OK-ish in beta (by setting region and language to UK), but it will be interesting to see how useful it is on the desktop. I quite enjoy using it on the phone (also by setting to UK, enable Cortana, then switch back to Aus).

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:51 am

Just set up the work email address - worked just like you said. Good to know the restart bug just isnt me - will wait for it to be fixed.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Another thing to check with the restart issues is that your mouse or keyboard aren't causing it to wake the computer again. If you go into device manager and look at the properties on them, you can disable the Power Management option for "Allow this device to wake the computer"

There's a little blog I wrote about this happening
https://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.com/ ... -computer/

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:12 am

Tried that didnt work - will have to wait till MS comes up with a fix.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Mine has stopped doing it now. I actually shut it down (as in turned off) for a few days and since turning it back on again it has happily been going to sleep and not constantly waking up.

Just check you have all the latest updates installed (another one released a day or so ago)

I've just installed the next build version that was released to the Insiders testing group, so will see if anything new comes from that.

Return to “Software”