windows software you can't do without

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

windows software you can't do without

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:04 pm

I ran across this little thing yesterday. After using it for a few hours I wondered how I ever lived without it (and why it isn't standard in windows anyway...) www.allsnap.org

Any else want to contribute the little programs that you can't live without?

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: windows software you can't do without

Post by Mort » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:16 pm

notepad++ - Notepad replacement tool.

Brad wrote:(and why it isn't standard in windows anyway...)
I can't even begin to imagine how long that list would be... and honestly, I'd rather they just get the basic features it's supposed to already have working properly before adding yet more bloat. But yes, it would be nice to see this as a simple option to turn on/off in standard windows.

Update: Try seeing how long you can last with the sounds enabled on that window snap util ](*,)

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:27 pm

Just started using this neato Outlook Add-in.

xobni

It's basically a really amazing little search type system for outlook. I find it's search function *way* faster and more useful than the standard outlook one, and it has cool features like clicking on a person to see all the email conversations you've had with them, what time of day they sent you emails (so you know when they are most likely to be sending you stuff), and stats on how quick people respond to you.

At first I thought it was just a cute little bit of bling, but I've been using it for about a week now and absolutely love how easy it is to find stuff again.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Just about to try it out now... Multiple desktops for Windows XP and Vista

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 17881.aspx

This is from the Sysinternals guys, so I'd trust it a lot more than the other ones of this type.

Update: For such a tiny program it's pretty cool, but not that exciting after all. It has too many limitations for the things I'd actually want to be able to do with it.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Mort wrote:Just about to try it out now... Multiple desktops for Windows XP and Vista

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 17881.aspx

Firefox does not like running on multiple desktops- well, not the M$ version of multipl edesktops, anyway.
it probably would run but I could not be stuffed trying ...

am trying xobni out now.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:49 pm

Free Download Manager
It's a download manager, and it's free!

I've never been particularly bothered about download managers, at least not since the days of BBS's, 14.4kbps modems, and block downloading using the new ZMODEM protocol! I don't download enough to have bothered with anything other than whatever IE or Firefox has as standard.

Recently though I was looking to queue up a bunch of files, and a few other neat features I wanted to do so I went looking and came across this. In short, it's BRILLIANT. Not oly does it make it easy to see where downloads are up to, but you can view the history of ones you downloaded before (now where *did* I put that file?!?) and it absolutely flies. I was happy with 200-300KB/s speed thinking that was pretty good, but this will easily start a multi-part download and max out my connection at around 950KB/s

So, I now have a way to start using all that excess download quota I have.

shopwood
One of the cool guys
One of the cool guys

Post by shopwood » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 am

Evernote

and

the Foxmarks add on to firefox

I'm too lazy to lug a laptop between work and home, but the combination of foxmarks, evernote and webmail means I can use two different machines with a lot less trouble especially as one is a mac and the other a PC.

Not to mention the feature where you take a snapshot of some text or handwriting and email it to your evernote account and the OCR will make it automagically searchable. For the first time in my life I'm actually thinking a phone with a camera might be a really good idea.
Last edited by Mort on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed up url link for Evernote
A little bit of madness,
Makes the world a happy place.

Brad

Post by Brad » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:06 pm

shopwood wrote:the Foxmarks add on to firefox

I've been using mozilla Weave http://labs.mozilla.com/projects/weave/ plugin, which does much the same as foxmarks. However, it also syncs browse history, search history, etc etc which means that when you use the address completion from firefox, you get the completion from whatever you where doing on the other computer as well. Plus, you can choose which components sync from which computer eg I don't sync my browse history with the work computer, but I do with the laptop.
It is a beta - the reliability has been a bit hit and miss, but the extra flexability is really nice.

brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Ed

Post by Ed » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:57 pm

Windows 7 will have the snap to screens feature.

Windows 7 does have some user interface changes, the most obvious being a revised taskbar, which shows an icon for every running application. The Windows 7 taskbar has larger icons, full-screen application previews when you hover the mouse and "jump lists" - pop-up menus that control key features, such as starting or stopping a song in Windows Media Player or visiting a favourite site in Internet Explorer. Application windows can be made transparent to see files on the desktop and when you drag a window with the mouse it snaps to screen borders - a small touch but one that feels natural. Windows Explorer, the main tool for file management, has a new feature called libraries, which pulls together content from multiple locations and lets you treat them as one. For example, if you have some photos on an internal hard drive and others on an external drive, you can include both locations in one library and search it as if it is a single folder. Applets such as WordPad and Paint have been refreshed and now sport fat ribbon toolbars like those introduced in Office 2007.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:03 am

Not the same as AllSnap though, it only snaps to screen edges, so basically for when you have multi-monitors.

Piers

Post by Piers » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Why don't they just say "Windows 7 : we've totally ripped off OSX this time".