Googles new "Chrome" web browser

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Googles new "Chrome" web browser

Post by Mort » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:49 pm

{Google has announced the imminent release of their "Chrome" web browser project for sometime tomorrow.

At first I was trying to understand why they would bother as they already invest heavily in Firefox, so making their own from scratch seems like a waste of effort. However as I don't own a multi-billion dollar company I guess I'm not really in a position to say if it makes sense for them or not :)

This guy here has a blog with some good detail about it, including the comic book google accidentally released to explain what it's all about. Worth looking at as some of the ideas are things I would have thought would already be in browsers!

While it looks cool, and I'm sure I'll give it a go, I can't help but think that it won't be IE that suffers, but Firefox. People that still use IE coz it's there (of which I admit I am one) and haven't switched to an alternate browser are still unlikely to make the switch. Those that don't like MS at all costs will go with the best non-MS browser, of which Chrome could be the one.

(Update: the official Google release of the Chrome comic is here)

Ed
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Googles new "Chrome" web browser

Post by Ed » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:40 pm

40 A4 pages of comics, I got bored at page 3... Comics are a good idea, I am going to draw comics at work from now on.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:04 pm

It's now available for download in case you hadn't heard. I just tried it and i think calling it "Beta" is a bit optomistic of them.

About the only page that seems to load and render properly for me is the google page itself. SMH, Buddabudda and even the google page to login to google services don't complete loading or load with half the grapics not loading correctly.

So, I don't think I'll be rushing around installing it on all my machines just yet.

shopwood
One of the cool guys
One of the cool guys

Post by shopwood » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:43 pm

On the other hand most of the ideas presented in the comic are quite good. I wouldn't be surprised if they go from "Crap and not worth looking at" to "You are sooo last century for not using it" at a rapid pace. From there it's just a short step to a buy out of the UN.

That's what their real agenda is.

Scott

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:55 pm

I actually read all of the comic (I was just watching my computers at work churn stuff on their own so didn't have anything else to do). I quite like what they are getting at... however

From a post I made on another web site forum, Mort wrote:Personally, I don't think this will have any impact on IE market share whatsoever. The only browsers that will lose out will be Opera and Firefox. People that use IE wll continue to do so because it's already installed and they don't want to load another browser (google, firefox or other), so the only people likely to install Chrome will be the ones that might have installed Firefox instead. I appreciate where google is coming from, but I think they would have been better off trying to get their new ideas released as Firefox v4 rather than another competing browser.

When it works, Chrome won't be an IE killer anymore than Firefox is. Chrome will be a Firefox killer.

pighunt

Post by pighunt » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:47 am

I ended up loading this at home last night and it worked pretty well. Even some of the pages that did not work at the office like www.smh.com.au seemed to load up OK.

Brad

Post by Brad » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:17 pm

Works ok for me, but until there is an adblock equivalent it is never going to replace firefox for me. There was a brief period of time where I was forced to use IE at work - I spent much more time working. The web is so annoying when you are forced to endure the ads as well.
Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.