MS Office Suite & Windows Genuine Office

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
KRaM
Clan Poet

MS Office Suite & Windows Genuine Office

Post by KRaM » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 am

So MS has picked up that my copy of Office and Outlook arent genuine and now I have this constant Windows Genuine Office program popping up everytime I open up one of them asking me to get Genuine Office. Anyone tried one of the free alternatives or can recommend one?

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: MS Office Suite & Windows Genuine Office

Post by Mort » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:02 am

Where did you get it from if it isn't genuine?

I don't use the free ones and they don't do the stuff I need them to do. For work related activity they can also be a bit flaky in compatibility. There would be no harm in trying it out though and you might find it works perfectly well for what you want. You will lose Outlook though which might cause some grief.

Another option might be to check if your workplace has a special "employee offer" for MS office. A lot of places do and you can get it pretty cheap as a special offer MS give large corporate clients.

The free versions may be good enough for a lot of things though, but there is a reason why MS still make a lot of money from their suite.

Harris tech have Office Home for $125, which has word, excel, powerpoint in it but no outlook. Or if you want outlook as well there's Office Standard for $259

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Cant remember where I got it from - ages ago in any case. Will give Thunderbird a try but I think your right around MS Office, especially for doing work from home.

Sigh.

Keith

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:54 pm

I am sure google can help you with your annoying "genuine advantage" popup.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Post by Brad » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Not sure whether it is still there, but you used to be able to get the latest version of office for $40 through CBA with the staff deals thingy. Have a look on the intranet site.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.