Windows 7 availability announced

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Windows 7 availability announced

Post by Mort » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:12 pm

For those of you that are interested:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/window ... 7-rtm.aspx
“IT Professionals with TechNet Subscriptions will be able to download Windows 7 RTM in English on August 6th...”

They have also confirmed a "Family Pack" license will be made available for household with multiple PC's, so you may want to hold off buying it until they annonce more details if you are looking to upgrade several PC's at home. The activation requirements of Win7 aren't going to allow you to just sneak it oto multiple machines like you may have doen with XP, and you won't be able to try taking your machine into your work and activating it that way either, but I'm not sure yet if I'm allowed to say more about that

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Windows 7 availability announced

Post by Brad » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Why can't you discuss the activation process? I thought it is all reasonably public, if not publicised.

There should be more info coming on upgrades etc over the next week or two. The family pack licence covers 3 pcs for the home premium version.

You can always get the tech net subscription like I do too, which gives you 10 or so licences to everything microsoft so you can "evaluate" the software.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Most info about activation is publicly available, but there are a few other "things" I am currently aware of. I am working on a project for Microsoft that has me under an NDA though so I can't give out any specifics. For the most part though it has no bearing on normal legit users, it's more around the various means people have tried in the past to piggy-back off their work activation systems or equivalent methods to using volume activation keys like you could with XP. If you are going to buy legit copies then there is no issue.

Brad

Post by Brad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:34 am

Sounds like its time for a lan party then :rolleyes:

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:09 am

Win7 RTM officially signed off - should be seeing my first copy of it in (removed due to NDA ;))...
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/window ... uring.aspx

All I can say is I won't be sad to see Vista dissappear. It wasn't a bad OS, it just wasn't a good one.

Brad

Post by Brad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:02 pm

Mort wrote:Win7 RTM officially signed off - should be seeing my first copy of it in (removed due to NDA ;))...
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/window ... uring.aspx

About a week for me...

Mort wrote:All I can say is I won't be sad to see Vista dissappear. It wasn't a bad OS, it just wasn't a good one.

That's a bit harsh. I think it is a great OS, it just isn't all it could have been which is what leaves the sour taste.
And we won't discuss audio drivers.
B

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Mort wrote:it's more around the various means people have tried in the past to piggy-back off their work activation systems or equivalent methods to using volume activation keys like you could with XP. If you are going to buy legit copies then there is no issue.

will it be some sort of on-site activation server for technet licenses?
or a time-bombed technet license?

just nod your head if I am close... :lol:

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:14 pm

You don't need any sort of server for technet activation, each technet subscription has it's own license.

If you are referring to volume licensing, then KMS is the on-site server product, but that already existed with Vista. MAK licensing is the alternative corporate system where you buy a block of activations, and when you have used them you just request another block.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:35 am

yes, I was just suggesting/asking if the way M$ will get around the use of technet licenses for "evaluation" at home would be to use a similar server to KMS but use it for activations; i.e. if the copy of Windows 7 does not register with the activation server every x number of days it becomes inactive.

Brad

Post by Brad » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:11 am

There's been no discussion of this anywhere. The MS reps regularly show up on eg Whirlpool where the technet benefits are discussed, so I think it would be announced well before they shut that down. (it better be!)

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:45 am

No, technet licenses will continue to function the way they do in Vista. As far as I know each install will be still need to be activated and do the same "check in" over the internet as normal retail copies do. The current issues with having Vista/Win7/Server2008 in isolated lab environments (and snapshots that you revert for testing) will still exist where you will need to rearm or rebuild servers that you don't activate when the grace period runs out.