Windows 7 RTM

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Windows 7 RTM

Post by Mort » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm

I've got my RTM copies of Windows 7 earlier than expected and will be doing a full reformat and install on my machine over the next couple of days. I've already played with the RTM version a few weeks ago and noticed an obvious difference in "speed" between the latest RC version and the RTM. This will also be the first time in many years that I've fuly committed to a new OS without keeping a dual-boot XP for backup.

I will run some 3dMark benchmarks after the fresh install to see how it comapares with my previous scores under XP and Vista on the same hardware.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Windows 7 RTM

Post by Brad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:41 pm

I've got it onto 2 out of 4 machines so far. Of course, I left the harder ones for last.

A handy hint for anyone coming from vista - vista stores all its drivers in /windows/sys32/DriverStore/FileRepository.
You can do a clean install of Win 7 onto your hard drive and it backs up the old windows directories in /windows.old/
It is then really easy to solve all of your driver problems by just pointing the Win 7 install into the old vista directory when it cannot find the appropriate driver. On my laptop (where the drivers are always hard to come by - thanks sony), this made the upgrade incredibly easy.
B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:50 pm

All my benchmarks so far (3dmark 05 and 06) are showing it runs at about the same as XP on my machine. Given there is nothing in my hardware that is recent enough to take advantage of many new directx type features I'm pretty happy with the result. I get all the whizz bang and speed improvements of Win7 with the same performance as XP, so even as a break even proposition I'm happy. Bootup times are way faster, shutdown only takes about 15 seconds, and I love the taskbar in win7 with the peek features.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:29 am

Brad wrote:I've got it onto 2 out of 4 machines so far. Of course, I left the harder ones for last.

A handy hint for anyone coming from vista - vista stores all its drivers in /windows/sys32/DriverStore/FileRepository.
You can do a clean install of Win 7 onto your hard drive and it backs up the old windows directories in /windows.old/
It is then really easy to solve all of your driver problems by just pointing the Win 7 install into the old vista directory when it cannot find the appropriate driver. On my laptop (where the drivers are always hard to come by - thanks sony), this made the upgrade incredibly easy.
B

I usually just do full installs of new OS's, as it seems more reliable. Is an upgrade from Vista to Win7 viable, then?

Brad

Post by Brad » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:42 am

DJDrDamage wrote:I usually just do full installs of new OS's, as it seems more reliable. Is an upgrade from Vista to Win7 viable, then?

As well as doing a proper upgrade from Vista (which is supposed to work so long as you are going to the same version of Win 7), you can also do a clean install to an existing partition.
If that partition already has a version of windows on it, Win 7 just puts your old Windows install into a separate directory /windows.old, including your program directory and user directories. This means that you don't loose any data, it just chews up large amounts of space on the drive. It also makes it really easy if Windows 7 is missing any drivers - you can just point it to your old driver directory and it has compatible drivers for everything.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:57 pm

well, that's pretty cool.
no need to muck about with copying user files, etc. off and then back on. although who woudl not back up files before doing e upgrade.

what would be even better is if you could upgrade the OS but also move across the installed programs without having to re-install (unless going 32-bit to 64-bit).
I imagine that would be harder than it sounds, anyway.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:47 am

DJDrDamage wrote:what would be even better is if you could upgrade the OS but also move across the installed programs without having to re-install (unless going 32-bit to 64-bit).
I imagine that would be harder than it sounds, anyway.

You can upgrade from Vista and do that fine, same as XP upgrade to Vista. It will keep the apps you already have.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:28 pm

i never knew you could do that...

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 am

I would usually recommend against it though. You would be much better off doing a clean install so you can at least start from a "known good" rather than a "It seems OK" baseline.