Anti-virus and software firewalls

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Anti-virus and software firewalls

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Well, working on the new PC. quite impressed with Windows 7 and how well it uninstalls stuff.

So, I had to decide on anti-virus/anti-malware software. I have been using Trend Micro Internet Security at home and the corporate stuff at work but due to a major outbreak of a new piece of malware throughout the business and Trend's pitiful response I decided to not use it again at home.

I looked at both free and paid-for software, both separate firewall and AV/Anti-malware software, as well as "suites" that do both function.

After exhaustive research (reading stuff) I decided on Avira (free version) for the anti-virus/anti-malware software as it seemed to tick many boxes: detection and removal of viruses, trojans, malware (including zero-day), as well as being relatively easy on processor/memory.

For the firewall, i decided on Comodo (free edition) but I found it a bit annoying to set up. After trying to get some torrent software to work I seemed to have stopped the AV updater from receiving updates. Now, it should be simple enough, especially since I work on cisco firewalls, and have worked on others, too, but... Anyway, it may be simply a learning curve...

I would be interested in hearing what other people use for AV/Anti-malware and software firewalls.

In fact, I am wondering whether software firewalls are that necessary, anyway, if your Anti-malware solution is up to date. I realise that you can get notified of any suspicious outbound activity but since so many apps are chatty now it is not always clear what is doing the talking, and sometimes, trying to figure out whether a "dll" is suspicious or not is frustrating. You know, is the dll that is trying to talk to the internet hacked or is it just a chatty app?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Anti-virus and software firewalls

Postby Mort » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 pm

I have a couple of different things in place.

My wifes machines is still running XP, but it has AVG free on it for AV, and uses the standard XP firewall
I run Win7 and use the Windows Firewall (perfectly fine, not sure why you'd bother with anything else for home) and MS Forefront Client Security for my local "AV".
I also use ISA Server as my main Internet firewall into my LAN.

Software firewalls are still a must have, probably more-so than AV I think. A firewall will in most cases stop a virus using an exploit to get to your machine in the first place, while AV only deals with it once it's already there.

If you are talking about enterprise solutions, then even the Windows firewall can be managed through group policy, but 3rd party ones do give better reporting and finer control. For home use though the Windows one works fine. For your machines that live behind your router, then the NAT on the router adds a layer of "obscurity" from the internet anyway, but even so it helps to block the stuff getting in at the earliest place you can.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm running AVG anti-virus / anti malware on my windows 7 box, which is on my lan behind a linux firewall. AVG seems reasonably good - although I don't remember the last time I actually had a virus on my home network.
The windows 7 firewall seems fairly good - an evolution on the vista one which wasn't too bad.

I think a good back up policy is probably more important that the A/v software.
Depends how likely you are to get infected too. I don't down load anywhere near as many dodgy apps these days - must be getting old.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:20 pm

thanks fpr the replies. I have AVG on my eePC but wanted to try something different.
comodo may get ditched and I will go back to Windows Firewall, i think.

work- got that sorted now. ditch Trend and its enterprise suite and move on. useless company, useless support, just useless.

anyway, avira still seems good with very little performance hit.

perhaps we don't download as many dodgy apps because we can afford them, or want to set a "good" example for our sprouts...

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:41 pm

I dont really understand any of this stuff but have AVG running with the XP firewall and havent had any virus problems since I dont know when - I think this pretty much answers the question..........

Keith

Brad

Postby Brad » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:03 pm

DJDrDamage wrote:perhaps we don't download as many dodgy apps because we can afford them, or want to set a "good" example for our sprouts...

Or perhaps because we haven't had a lan party for a while...
B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 pm

I hadn't realised that XKCD read BB...
http://xkcd.com/694/

B

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 am

:D

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm about to ditch Avast! (despite the wonderful piratey name) as it's too invasive and stops Steam from working properly.
The file/web/network shields block valid requests and completely foobared Portal2 the other night - I wasted a day rolling back and forth my video & audio drivers, only to discover avast! had corrupted part of Portal2 when Steam tried to update it.

I can't even start the game anymore unless I disable the shields because it blocks the cloud synchronisation and I just get the olive box stating "Completing insatllation: 1%" if I try to launch it.

Looks like I'll be downloading AVG...

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 pm

I havent had any problems with AVG for a while - although their more recent installers have started pushing the crapware throughout. Be careful you dont end up installing the annoying AVG search bar in your browser. I still haven't worked out how to get it off Carolyns laptop.

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 pm

I stopped using Avg a while ago now. They have started doing too much dodgy and annoying stuff. I've been using the Microsoft stuff for a while now. It works really well for Av and anti-spam, and with the windows firewall it all pretty solid.

Piers

Postby Piers » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:13 am

Yeah, I'd seen all the negative stuff about AVG last night, I might stick with avast and see if I can get it configured to ignore steam.

Return to “Software”