non-administrattive installs

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

non-administrattive installs

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue May 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi,

does anyoen know a way that will allow a non-admin or non-power-user to install software on Windows 7?
We have an app that, once installed, when run checks the existence of a newer version of an msi file and then will run the MSI (which uninstalls and re-instalsl) teh new version.

options I am lookign at:
- switch within the package building process that sets teh non-administrative install flag, not sure what this does or how it works, and if the Windows user permissions would take over
- just see if we can only copy changed files rather than going through teh install process

group policy is not of use becuase teh program changes frequently and so we admins would need to "redploy" via group policy often, which means we have to do work and the user needs to log off or maybe even shutdown to get the change to the policy and redploy settings.

any ideas?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: non-administrattive installs

Postby Mort » Tue May 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Do you actually want to allow users the option of having this auto-update? What is the program?
If you are running a controlled or managed environment then you should be able to use the existing deployment methods. If the effort of having to redploy frequent updates is too much then you need ask why the company is using that app. If you don't want to worry about controlling users initiatng the update then that also imlpies that you aren't so worried about providing any QA and only doing best-effort support for it.

Lots of options in my order of preference:

1. Go talk to the software developer and tell them to fix their program. The fact that it even does this is just plain stupid and they should have the ability for *you* to decide what you want the program to be doing to your systems
2. Repackage it yourself, or edit the existing installer to remove the auto-check component. It may just be a startup or auto-run reg entry that you can delete to stop that behaviour.
3. Check appdeploy.com to see if others have experienced this program and what they did about it
4. Look at App-V or some other application virtualisation approach. The app can live in its own little bubble thinking it has full admin rights without any impact to the real system
5. Determine what permissions are actually required (file/reg) to run the install for the app and permission those locations to allow users to update

That'll do for now. I'd have to send you an invoice if I started getting to much deeper into it :)

Return to “Software”