Win7 - which to get?

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Win7 - which to get?

Postby Piers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 am

Brad wrote:There is always the subscription to technet. For $330 you get 5 licences for everything microsoft to let you "evaluate" the software. That is how I've been getting my versions of office and windows on everyone's computers. You only have to pay for one year and the licence remains valid.
There are often discount codes floating around the web that will get you a further 10-20% off as well.

B

Yeah, I was considering that too... same price as one copy of ultimate.
BTW, do you run 32 bit or 64 bit win7? I'll probably go 64 so I can take advantage of extra ram when I build my new kit (in case you haven't noticed, I'm slowly re-entering gaming with a shiny new HD6970 Gigabyte OC2 but it's severely hampered by my elderly E8500 Core2Duo).
My Thermaltake PSU isn't rated for my new card, but I have a brand new Seasonic waiting for me to rip the case open and install it.

Next up - CPU, MB & Ram, which will also require Win7 & maybe a new HDD. Might have to wait until after Tash's birthday so I know how much money we still have.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:13 pm

How much did the graphic card set you back?

Keith

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Piers wrote:BTW, do you run 32 bit or 64 bit win7? I'll probably go 64 so I can take advantage of extra ram when I build my new kit (in case you haven't noticed, I'm slowly re-entering gaming with a shiny new HD6970 Gigabyte OC2 but it's severely hampered by my elderly E8500 Core2Duo).
My Thermaltake PSU isn't rated for my new card, but I have a brand new Seasonic waiting for me to rip the case open and install it.

Next up - CPU, MB & Ram, which will also require Win7 & maybe a new HDD. Might have to wait until after Tash's birthday so I know how much money we still have.

I'm running 64bit now - I have 6Gb in this system. I haven't had any significant problems with incompatibility for ages - the drivers for everything but my tv card seem completely stable.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Piers

Postby Piers » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:20 am

KRaM wrote:How much did the graphic card set you back?

Keith

$379 - http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?gid=23520 ... &p=product
$200 cheaper than the GTX580 and pretty close in performance, so I considered that a pretty sweet spot even though it's AMD top of range (except the silly 6990).
The 6950 isn't much cheaper unless you go for an HIS, and I'm sure you can't unlock them with a BIOS flash anymore.

Makes the rest of my kit look shabby - I benchmarked a game the other day and it reported 90% CPU usage and 20% GPU usage.

Piers

Postby Piers » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Mort wrote:For what it's worth, I can get Win7 for the following prices:

Home Premium Full - $239.64
Pro Full - $347.46
Ultimate Full - $360.60

Home Premium Upg - $154.35
Pro Upg - $299.31
Ultimate Upg - $312.62

There is also a $9 delivery charge per order, and then I have to arrange to pick it up from Brookvale somehow

Bought mine today online for USD119 (HP Upgrade), so that's about $113 - for some reason the microsoft store didn't redirect me to the AU store so I got the US price.

Piers

Postby Piers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:42 pm

If, like KRaM and myself, you bought a Win7 upgrade media to go from XP, you might run into trouble with Windows not accepting the product key.
There's an easy fix though - I used option three in this article and it worked a treat.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31 ... rsion.html

Return to “Software”