Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Postby Mort » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:44 pm

The issue with the AMD video drivers and the LGS software seems to be fixed in the Release Candidate. I just did an "upgrade" of my Win7 install and everything is working fine. All my apps are still installed and everything which is a really nice thing to see.

There's also a new version of the Logitech Gaming Software just relased with various bug fixes.

The new Win8 RC (and possibly the new AMD drivers) has also fixed a problem I had with the computer not initialising the video when it was resuming from sleep.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:02 pm

I still cant get any sound drivers to work reliably - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, for no apparent reason. And there is no software at all that appears to play blurays on Win 8 at the present time. Enough time dicking around - I'm back to win 7.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:25 am

I haven't had any problems with sound drivers (just using on-board though) and the Blu-ray thing will be interesting.

MS aren't including Blu-ray support in Win8 (probably because of the extra license cost involved). The funny thing is reading the comments people are making about that fact
1. Microsoft are scum and just want you to pay them more money for BD support
2. Typical MS, screwing consumers over yet again
3. No BD support in Win8? That's it then, I'm sticking with XP.

Funny thing is, XP and Win7 don't have native BD support either. You had to get a 3rd party app with the codec support, usually the freebie program that comes with the DVD drive.

So MS get hammered if they include it (typical Microsoft, stifling competition by including it in Windows), and also if they don't include it (Typical Microsoft, screwing the consumer to get more money out of us).

The only thing I'd need Bluray support for would be to rip movies to files anyway.

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 am

I can't really blame MS for the bluray issues. With all the BS that the studios put them through on Win 7 to allow media playback, I cant really blame them for not touching it with a 10' pole.

I tried to install the copy of powerdvd that came with my blueray - won't install. Support message:- Windows 8 is still a beta - we're not supporting it, but try our latest version, which is a $80 upgrade. Of course the upgrade wouldnt work anyway, since the old version wont even install, but they wont tell you that.

Unfortunately ripping the current bluray is not proving easy - it is the Bluray of Alien, which has got 2 different cuts of the moving on it. In order to rip the movie, the software needs to understand the bluray menu structure, not just decrypt the files, which is proving surprisingly rare. Handbrake does, but then falls over in the encoding process for reasons I dont yet understand. All I want to do is watch the movie I paid good money for...

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:43 pm

I've got PowerDVD10 with mine. It will install and run (Set to run in Win7 compat mode as admin) but when I try to play BluRay it says I need to upgrade to play this content. You're right about the bloody studios, it's the AACP (or something) encryption type. I found a few "research projects" for VLC that are writing plugins, but there are all sorts of limitations, including "we do not supply the encryption key" so you could theoretically get it working if you know where to locate that key.

On top of that, Win8 (and win7) need to support the various encryption signals that are transported over HDMI, so even if you could catch the signal, it would probably still be blocked by the DRM the Windows needs to support.

All I can do is console myself with the knowledge that the studios are spending millions of dollars and hours of time trying to create "protection" systems that will be broken in a matter of hours most time. Unfortunately, they then decide to pass the cost of those efforts onto the people who might choose to buy legitimately, who then decide to pirate because the studios stop us doing what we want, which leads back to the start of the cycle... but it's not like I'm telling you something you didn't already know.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Interesting thing I noticed that was annoying me a bit. My Desktop keep waking up by itself and not going back to sleep. I thought maybe it was the mouse or something set to wake the computer and it was getting bumped or something, but after turning off the "allow device to wake" for everything it was still happening.

A bit more digging and I found that Windows Updates has a setting to wake the computer to install updates. That explains why the computer wasn't waking every night, just some nights. On laptops it looks like that setting disabled by default to prevent the laptop draining the battery or waking up inside your bag.

The not going back to sleep part is a different problem. There's a program or something running on my machine that keeps stopping it auto-sleeping again... but that's a different issue.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:16 pm

PC woke up again at 4PM... found the cause... damn they don't make this easy. Turns out the Media Center does an update and is configured to wake the computer if required.

Task Scheduler | Microsoft | Windows | Media Center
Edit the mcupdate_scheduled task, go to Conditions and untick the "wake the computer..." option, or just disable it.

Another method I've seen mentioned is to edit your Power Options, and set the "Sleep | Allow wake timers" option to "Disable"

Return to “Software”