Ripping DVD library

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Ripping DVD library

Postby Mort » Sun May 27, 2012 6:33 pm

I'm sure I've asked this before but I can't find the topic. I've now got a Boxee Box and will be looking to copy all my DVD's to the network. Who else has gone (or is going) through the process of ripping their DVD collection? What did you use, what settings worked best etc?

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Ripping DVD library

Postby Piers » Mon May 28, 2012 10:35 am

WinX works well if Freemake can't do it, can even do D!sn3y titles.
Having said that, I haven't ripped many of mine, mostly just the kids' stuff as they're so rough on them.

Piers

Postby Piers » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 am

I should mention that WinX Platinum does what I said, I believe AnyDVD Bluray can do it too... not sure how much blurray you have.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 am

No bluray/hd stuff... Except maybe a couple of discs that came with SD and HD disks as part of a promo bundle.

I'll check out your suggestions, my current combo of dvdshrink and dvdtoavi is slow and painful.

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed May 30, 2012 10:03 am

The easy option is Handbrake - has a simple one click rip to a file, with a bunch of appropriate pre-sets.

If you are picky about the size of the resulting files and want to pay attention to the optimisation, MEGUI with the associated tools is the most comprehensive option. The forums at Doom9 have a bunch of guides on how to use.

From memory, you don't tend to run into too many CSS issues with DVDs anymore, but if you want to rip any blurays, you need AnyDVD to deal with the encoding etc issues.

Every now an again I go through a sudden flurry of ripping more disks to the server, but when I do, it is very easy to sympathise with my brothers position - it is quicker and easier to find and download a torrent than it is to actually rip the DVD...

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed May 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Freemake is pretty cool, but I found the couple I tried last night (to AVI) were a bit jerky on playback through the boxee. Worked OK on the laptop though, so I might just need to experiment with other formats. Doom9 is where I started, but their guides are all pretty old now and don't mention any of the newer programs at all.

I've already tried handbrake, but it doesn't resize at all. Will have to think about that a bit more and decide if disk space is that much of an issue or not.

I do have a "source" for media, but I find they crunch them down more than I would like. Too many times they pack a movie down so that it's fine to watch on a small screen like a computer/laptop, but it looks awful played back on a full size TV.

If I get really desperate, maybe I'll just buy a copy of AnyDVD. I'll test out the demo and see how it goes.

What would be ideal is a program that supports "batching", so I can have a pre-defined setup, and it just rips with a single click when a disk goes in rather than having to rescan, define settings, define name, save file location etc...

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed May 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Isnt it just easier to keep it on the DVD given you dont tend to watch the same DVD more than a few times. This is unlike music - took the best part of 3 weeks of evenings and weekends to rip my CDs onto FLAC for the player upstairs.

The only exception here are the kids one but frankly I would think that you would want the DVD to die eventually given their ability to watch the same show over and over again (what "Barbie Princess Pony Magic Ice Cream Parade Animated by Disabled Child Labour in North Korea" doesnt work anymore - what a shame!).

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 pm

I like to re-watch most of my movies and I don't tend to buy them unless I actually like watching them again. Same with books, I don't "collect" much stuff, but book and movies I do.

Anyway, the kids DVD's are the main reason. I get fed up with them being left out all over the place, and it's amazingly cool just being able to browse all your movies, by category etc to pick what you want to watch. Also frees up the need to have the DVD's available on shelves.

I did some more testing with Freemake and have found that MKV containers seem to be the way to go. Perfectly smooth, excellent quality, and a few options MKV can handle that MP4 can't. I might play with Handbrake a bit more as well, but Freemake also has the option to "shrink" the file... will have to see how that works out.

And Keith, for those barbie movies, you can always mark them as Adult content and then the parental control systems kick in an need you to enter the password before they can play it :D

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 pm

i have anydvd+cloneDVD HD and blu-ray and am pretty happy with it.

the only dvd i could not rip was Captain America but that may have been fixed in a later version- just have not tried again.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:38 am

I like to re-watch most of my movies and I don't tend to buy them unless I actually like watching them again

oh *those* types of movies - gotcha

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:14 am

What solution did you end up using here in the end?

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:27 pm

I just use Freemake to rip to .mkv files, the file format I was originally using was the reason for the jerkiness I originally had on Boxee. Works really well, can shrink as well if you want, and is dead easy to setup. If I get a DVD that has copy protection that freemake can't handle then I'll use DVD shrink. I haven't ripped any Blu-Ray, but I probably wouldn't rip it at full Blu-ray size anyway so it's more for the convenience than the quality.

Piers

Postby Piers » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:38 am

I'm using WinX Platinum cos it can do Disney & Lucasfilm, which Freemake & Handbrake can't rip due to the protection on the discs.
The kids destroy any dvd they touch, so it's much nicer to have them all on the PVR (I have a 2TB ext HDD for that, which everything is dropped onto).

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:14 am

Piers - how much did you pay for wind platinum - full price or is there a cheaper way?

Keith

Piers

Postby Piers » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:59 am

there's a *cough* cheaper way...

Return to “Software”