Office 2013 (Beta)

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Office 2013 (Beta)

Postby Mort » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:15 pm

It's going to be a busy time over the next 6-9 months in the Microsoft world. New Windows desktop, Server, Exchange, SQL, Office, Tablets, Phone etc

Some of the new changes and features are really nice, others I'm not so sure about.
office-icons.PNG

Office 2013 has some great new features, but I personally don't like the changes they've made to the interface. I really like the ribbon in Office 2010, but in 2013 they have "flattened" it and taken out nearly all the colours and shading. I believe this is to make it easier to match the desktop and web-based version to each other, but it doesn't change the fact that it looks dull and actually makes it harder to pick out the different "regions" of content.

These screen shots I've taken sho the Office 2013 ribbon on top, the Office 2010 one underneath.
Outlook Home tab
Outlook-Home.PNG

Outlook View tab
Outlook-View.PNG

Word Home tab
Word-Home.PNG

Word Insert tab
Word-Insert.PNG

Word Review tab
Word-Review.PNG

The whole look of Outlook is really quite stark. Very bland, and probably my least favourite change. Considering you need a graphics card with DX10 support to handle the Graphics Acceleration (wtf?) you'd think they would be able to add a bit more bling. The all UPPERCASE tab labels is also quite annoying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Office 2013 (Beta)

Postby Brad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Mort wrote:The whole look of Outlook is really quite stark. Very bland, and probably my least favourite change. Considering you need a graphics card with DX10 support to handle the Graphics Acceleration (wtf?) you'd think they would be able to add a bit more bling. The all UPPERCASE tab labels is also quite annoying.

That covers the whole of Windows 8 - the graphics are a big step backwards. At least they are getting rid of some of the baggage accumulated along the way, but still - Just give me some option to bring back a start menu that doesn't require 2.3M pixels to render, yet looks like it took someone 10 minutes to program.

At the same time that microsoft is removing all transparency in their interface, apple is paying attention to how reflections render as the screen is turned using accelerometer feedback. Go figure.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 pm

The random black smudges over key words are also quite annoying.

I look at the whole thing Windows 8 thing and think - why? Even if it is another $40 to upgrade Windows 7 works fine so why spend the dollars and, more importantly, the time spent dicking around to get it to work?

Having said that Ars Technica has had some interesting articles on the Office 2013 suite, some of the Excel innovations looked quite neat.

Keith
Last edited by KRaM on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:25 pm

There's an option to make the smudges a different colour.

But yes, if you have Win7 already then you probably don't need to upgrade. If you still have XP then you really need to think now about how you want to upgrade...

Return to “Software”