Surface RT tablet pricing announce

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Surface RT tablet pricing announce

Postby Mort » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Don't know if I'd call those reviews negative. There are certainly numerous issues they need to address, but even Apple is still fixing issues.
I agree the pricing is higher than I'd hoped, probably the main reason I didn't just go get one. As for apps, that is changing very quickly with a lot of apps appearing each day. That's no different to any new system though and remember that these apps are for the desktop win8 as well, so there's a lot more incentive for apps to come given the multiple platforms they can run on.
Early days, new platform, and there will be choice of different devices as well. The software will get updates and improve.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:09 am

They released the pricing for the Windows 8 Pro - $899/$999 and thats just the tablet. Will be interested to see how good these things when released - the option to salary sacrifice brings down the price considerably for me though.........

Keith

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_bl ... icing.aspx

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Sitting here in Kiama with a surface RT on my lap in "notebook" mode. I've only been using it for a short while but I find I can type on the touch keyboard at nearly full speed. The only thing is I seem to miss the space bar sometimes, but that is something I would adapt to quite easily.

I haven't noticed any slowness, the office apps work fine even for "preview" versions. At most they are a bit jumpy when you try to scroll quickly in a large spreadsheet, but hardly anything I'd even notice with normal use.

So first impressions? Just WOW. I wasn't sure how I'd really feel about it, but I'd pick one of these over an iPad. I guess there would be teething issues and possible a few apps missing in the short term, but that won't take long to be remedied. So while MS still have a huge uphill battle to face, this does seem like it could stand a chance of making a decent showing.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:41 am

impressed enough to post twice? or a problem with the Surface? are you doubling all of your outgoing data usage? :D

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:33 am

Haha, no. Its the stupid forum software bug that sends you back to your post after submitting it. I didn't realise I had already submitted and must have done it again.
(removed duplicate post)

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 am

Mort wrote:So first impressions? Just WOW. I wasn't sure how I'd really feel about it, but I'd pick one of these over an iPad.

Why do you say that, other than to ensure an enduring flame war?

How is the battery life?

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Brad wrote:
Mort wrote:So first impressions? Just WOW. I wasn't sure how I'd really feel about it, but I'd pick one of these over an iPad.

Why do you say that, other than to ensure an enduring flame war?

How is the battery life?

B

No, just my personal preference would be one over an ipad. I'm not saying it as a recommendation that everyone should pick one over an ipad as there are still many reasons why ipad or even android might be a better fit for your needs. If someone already had an ipad then I doubt they would change to a surface, but if they were looking for a new laptop then it might be worth considering.

However, from my perspective I don't have an ipad, so it would be the pick of a new ecosystem regardless of which I chose, but to answer your question more specifically:
The touch keyboard is actually a lot nicer than I expected. I wasn't sure how quite how it would go, and it *is* different, but to use this for typing is something I could do easily, and have actually spent a large portion of today doing so. My typing speed on the touch keyboard is pretty much the same as a full size keyboard. I've already found the issue I mentioned last night about missing the space bar isn't happening anymore.

Battery life - started full charge this morning and it's currently sitting around 60% now at 4:30. While there isn't any 3G sucking battery, I have had the Wifi on all day using an N router connected at 270Mbps

I'm finding the way Windows8 works with the way you switch between apps really makes a lot of sense with touch, and I find I'm moving quite easily between typing on the keyboard and gestures on the screen without even realising it. I quite like using win8 even with a mouse/keyboard, but the touch really does bring out so much more.

The kick stand is really handy. It works open sitting on your lap with the keyboard in front, or you can flip the keyboard back under it to provide an even more stable base. I'm sure there are plenty of ipad cases/add-ons that provide the same functionality, but the way it all works on the surface is a lot less intrusive and much more seamless.

having office (word/excel/onenote) is great. I just updated this one to the "RTM" version and it is a lot smoother than the preview.

The USB port is handy to plug my phone into for an extra boost, and I use my phone as a 3g hotspot for the tablet to use, so the tablet provides the power and still gets full roaming abilities. I can also plug my Logitech receiver in, kick out the stand and use a full keyboard and mouse.

And despite its general evilness, you can use web sites with flash

So, yes, lots of good stuff.

Bad stuff? probably a bit heavier than I'd like. Not uncomfortable though, and about the same as an ipad with a case, lighter than an ipad with a "keyboard" case.
The power connector is cool, but it's proprietary no mini/micro USB for connectivity or charging.
The standard Mail app is OK, but I would really like to have full Outlook. Hopefully updates will improve the apps.
I think if MS had managed to get the price a bit lower then it would be a really serious option, but as it stands it's still a tough sell against the established ipad and the *cheap* android tablets.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:29 pm

oh, and just got the email to say the two I ordered have been shipped so we'll have them for Christmas... We'll have plenty of iThings and Windows things then, still undecided if I want to get an Android thing yet.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Forgot to also mention, while not an issue for me, the fact that there isn't even a version with 3G even if you wanted it...

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:30 pm

If the x86 version had 10 hours of battery life it would blow the iPad away.
As it is, I couldn't go back to a low res screen on a tablet, but I couldn't live with the battery life of the x86.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Return to “Software”