Windows 10 Technical Preview

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Windows 10 Technical Preview

Postby Mort » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:45 pm

The Windows 10 technical preview is now open for all to try out. I've just taken the plunge and done an in-place upgrade of my main gaming PC (was Windows 8.1) and it's all come back up fine with no need to re-install anything (so far).

It's available for anyone who want's to try it out from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Is Windows 10 really a whole new OS version? No, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it was what they were going to release as Windows 8.2 (Windows 8, Update 2) but decided to go with the approach that worked well for the change from Vista to Windows 7. Try to cut the connection between the bad press of Windows 8 and learn from previous mistakes. Again.

As I play with it some more, I'll add to the following list with anything that grabs my attention.

• Being able to have Metro/NewUI apps as windowed instead of full screen/snapped is really nice.
  • Considering it was an in-place upgrade, it is noticeably faster. Whatever extra special caching/pre-loading is going on is working really well.

Dislikes:

Meh's:
  • Start Menu - I guess it will be the big thing that get people over the whole "windows 8 is crap" thing, and it's just something I'll have to get used to. I actually preferred the ability to see a lot more in the Full screen start menu, despite the "jarring" transition when changing from the desktop. I think it will be good for a lot of people, and I will get used to it. It does have some nice additions though. (Just found there is an option to use the old Start Screen instead)

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview

Postby Mort » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:57 pm

Actually, I've made it a blog post instead, so you an catch the latest action here: http://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.com/2 ... dventures/

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:48 pm

Current build is now 10041. Lots of small and some not-so-small changes over the various builds. Latest build seems to have a few new bugs that have broken things that were working before, but there are workarounds for most of them.

e.g. I was trying to launch some Steam titles (e.g. Half-Life 2) and it would just flicker to a black screen and return to Steam without launching the game at all. Adding "-windowed -noborder" to the game launch options fixes that for the time being.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:37 am

Build 10049: Now with the new Spartan browser. So far it's working well, very fast, no significant compatibility issues. There are still some features missing that I really hope will be included agan for future builds, but so far so good.

Other than that, it's a minor update, resolves a lot of little bugs more than anything else.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Scott,

Are you running a virus checker under Windows 10, or relying on the built in stuff?
Got it installed now after about 20Gb of downloads...

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12 pm

You have to stick with the built-in one as I don't believe any 3rd party ones will work with it yet, inlcuding Microsofts own Endpoint product. There are significant changes to how the kernel works, but the built-in defender product is pretty good and uses the same signatures etc as the enterprise one.
Never been a problem for me, but just give malwarebytes a run over everynow and then if you are concerned.

Are you going on the Fast or Slow update track?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:48 am

Which build version do you have? 10061 just dropped so if you didn't get that one, you're about to get a new download

A couple of bugs to watch out for in the new version
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/window ... uild-10061

When you do need to upgrade, if your start menu doesn't work after setup finishes (which has happened to me a few times) then you might need to reset the app cache
https://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.com/ ... t-opening/

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:12 pm

fast track -10061 is working fine for me.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Just updated to 10061 and the start menu thing has happened to me again, but this time I can't get it to work. I have found a post with other people having the same problem and same specific error though, however none of them have found a fix for it yet either. :(

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:45 pm

OK, so my 10061 update didn't go so well. It completed, but after a reboot I could open the start menu or any apps and the search bar didn't work. Found lots of other people with the same problem and the fixes I used befire didn't work.

In the end had to do a "refresh" which fixed it, but now I have to reinstall my Programs. All my data etc is in tact so no issue there. There is a silver lining here though... I've been meaning to do a fresh build to get all the crap off my system, and this has kind of done that for me, but without losing all my settings in the process.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat May 02, 2015 4:01 pm

Build 10074 now and things are looking really good. All the recent bugs and issues I had seem to be resolved and things are running very smoothly. Haven't tried any gaming yet, so need to see how that goes.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon May 04, 2015 5:37 pm

For those interested in such things. Free ebook "Introducing Windows 10 for IT Professionals"

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/microsoft_press ... ition.aspx

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:04 am

OMG you can pre order today - they must have limited copies - no mention of any DLC though which is disappointing. Bit nervous - what if this turns into another L4D2?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 pm

I'm quite certain Microsoft wouldn't dare risk the blowback if they tried to pull an L4D2. I think the software industry has learned a hard lesson after your boycott.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:59 am

Yes - pre-purchasing the game and then not playing it for 2 years was a long hard struggle but I think they learned their lesson.

Anyway saw the MS sell video the other day - Siri for my desktop - hopefully there will be the option to change the voice to Mr Humphries from Are You Being Served.

Keith

Return to “Software”