Windows 10 - Free Upgrade

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Windows 10 - Free Upgrade

Postby Mort » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:57 am

Microsoft announced today that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for anyone running Windows 7 or 8. Release date is still only "sometime in 2015".

Given my experiences with it so far, I'd say that's a bloody excellent deal.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Re: Windows 10 - Free Upgrade

Postby DJDrDamage » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:32 pm

will it be a subscription service, though? i.e. pay each year to get updates, service packs and patches?

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:39 pm

A year for free - thats practically forever - skipped 8 so will probably give it a go depending upon the pricing model.

Assume the holodeck thingy they revealed today will be a freebie?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01 ... announced/

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:59 pm

I've seen various comments by people interpreting it would be free "for the first year and after that you have to pay to keep using it", but I have no idea why they have read it that way. The announcement was "free upgrade for the first year after release" which to me just sounds like "after it is released, if you upgrade within a year then you don't have to pay anything. After the first year then we will start charging for anyone who wants to upgrade."

So basically, get it early, get it free. They want to ramp the numbers up as quickly as possible, and this seems like a pretty good way to do that.

So it's not "a year for free"... it's just free, but only if you do the upgrade WITHIN the first year.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:19 pm

I read it the same way you did but saw a number of posts, like you, mentioned the yearly maintenance. I though perhaps they had read another article or were putting other MS subscription models forward as examples of what might happen with Windows.
There was an article about Windows as a paid service but no details and I cannot find the article again. Perhaps that was the link?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Microsoft has confirmed that it is NOT a subscription. It is FREE to upgrade with no further costs for the life of the device, IF you upgrade in the first year Win10 is released.

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10
We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.

*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge. Feature availability may vary by device. Some editions excluded

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindow ... windows-10

I'd say people are confusing the "Windows as a Service" as meaning "subscription"... what it means is the delivery and support model they will apply to keep it updated.

Return to “Software”