PnkbstrB.exe has stopped responding

Discussions about stuff that isn't Hardware. Keep it legal, or at least vague enough to cover my ass if the lawyers gets on my case.
Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

PnkbstrB.exe has stopped responding

Post by Piers » Wed May 16, 2007 10:48 am

You've probably all been seeing this a lot since patch 1.25 went out - but it might not be EA's fault! Evenbalance released an update around the same time that added two new processes to their suite of cheat checkers - pnkbstrB.exe trawls your HDD looking for cheats (hardly a good thing) and can use up to 40% of CPU.
I saw a fix for the poor gaming experience we've all been subjected to, which it to disable the pnkbstrA & B services, delete the files from windows/sytem32 and delete the pb directory from prog files/EA/2142 - then run pbsetup to reinstall it all.

Did it last night but I haven't tested it yet - I'll let you know if it's fixed.

I, for one, am tired of never getting two games in a row as PnkbstrB.exe invariably failed every time a new round started, and I'd end up back at my desktop.

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed May 16, 2007 12:47 pm

Note that pnkbstrA is the service that updates the punkbuster version files in the background. This was created to allow games to run in Vista without Admin privilege. The service is installed and runs with Admin escalation, so that punkbuster can update automatically, but the rest of the game doesn't require escalated privileges.
If you disable it, you'll need to manually update punkbuster every time there is an update (which is a much more reliable process anyway).

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Not sure if it's in our "good BF2142 links" post, but there is a tweak guide that tells you the values to set your PB to.

If you remove it completely, then you will start getting kicked again after 2 hours or something if PB hasn't polled it's server. The default polling time is something like 30 seconds, so the guide had details on what to change to wind it out to a longer period that was still in the safe time.

Piers

Post by Piers » Wed May 16, 2007 9:56 pm

Yeah, bf2forums says to download the pbsvc.exe run it once to uninstall, then run again to reinstall

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1415250

BattlecryBob wrote:
Seems like some people are still having problems with the PB Losing Key Packets kick, so I thought I'd share something that works for me.

1. Manually update your punkbuster using pbsetup.exe (just to be safe)

2. Download pbsvc.exe from PB.

3. Run it, select the uninstall option.

4. Run it again, select the install option.

5. Reboot if you want, just in case. I didn't and it worked fine for me.

PBSETUP: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

PBSVC: http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe

nutsloose

Post by nutsloose » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:12 pm

Unable to play a game tonight, once the map had loaded it came up with service communication failure: pnkbstrb.exe handshaking failed. Tried all sorts , but always kicked a few seconds after the game started. Tried piers post about uninstalling and reinstalling and it worked a treat , thanks Piers.

You see search is your no.1 friend (i thought i would get that in before Mort does) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Clan Explosive Expert

nutsloose

Post by nutsloose » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:19 am

Same thing again last night , unable to play until i used pbsvc uninstall an reinstall ? not sure why i am having these issues now as i cannot remember changing anything ? will see how it goes tonight. :?
Clan Explosive Expert

Piers

Post by Piers » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:31 am

These days if I get the pnkbstrB error I switch back to 2142 and carry on regardless, which seems to work anyhoo.
(not that I'm playing atm...)

nutsloose

Post by nutsloose » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:16 am

Had it again today, after the map has loaded and you are choosing your unlocks the punkbuster message comes up and you are kicked out of the game back to the bfhq where i have to choose another map or reload the original one i was kicked from. Only fix that works so far is to close the game and uninstal and reinstall pbsvc then it seems to work ok for the rest of the night .
Clan Explosive Expert

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:48 am

You probably need to disable all your aim-bots and wall-hacks or something.

nutsloose

Post by nutsloose » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:44 pm

Ah that may help, i might even play a bit better without them..
Clan Explosive Expert

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: PnkbstrB.exe has stopped responding

Post by Mort » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:21 pm

Grrrrr

Just finished re-installing BF:VN, BF2, and BF2142 on my Win7 machine.

BF:VN works fine in single player mode, but I can't find any servers to test out internet play
BF2 loaded after I first installed it, but I didn't try getting into a game. I then installed the 1.50 patch and now I just get Crash to Desktop tryingto start t.
BF2142 loads and plays single player fine, but when I connect to servers I get dropped with PunkBuster errors after 30 seconds or so. I've tried re-installing PB, checking for updates etc and a few other tips I found on the net, but nothing works :(

Update: BF2142 works when I set it to compatibility mode of XP SP2 and run as Admin. Still working on BF2.

Update2: BF2 now works after completly uninstalling and reinstalling everything very carefully and making sure all the patches actually worked.