Origin making Steam games available?

Other games and archived games forums. If something else becomes popular enough, we'll create a new forum for it.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Origin making Steam games available?

Postby Mort » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 pm

I just started up Origin and noticed that a game I bought through Steam has appeared in Origin as "Ready to Download".

I bought Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit on Steam a while ago, and somewhoe Origin has figured that out is making it available for me to play through it instead. Both Steam and Origin are showing the same CD-KEY/Product Code for it as well.

Has anyone noticed any other games doing the same thing? Perhaps if a game is distributed through Steam *and* Origin they are sharing purchase history?

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: Origin making Steam games available?

Postby KRaM » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:46 am

Guess it would be easy enough to do as you would need to log into EA when playing it on Steam although I havent noticed it with any other games - I have a copy of Red Alert 3/Mass Effect etc on Steam for example which are not showing up on Origin.

Now if only it was the other way around <sigh>.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 am

Are Red Alert and Mass Effect also available for purchase through EA\Origin though? This doesn't seem to be Origin just finding my Steam games and creating it's own shortcuts, but actually making the EA versions available for download and play through EA *instead* of through STEAM. Technically I wonder if I could now install it on one computer with STEAM, and another with Origin and play both without the hassles STEAM give me with not allowing to be logged in at multiple computers.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:38 pm

Yep they both are - just checked.

Keith

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:09 am

Here is the answer:

Origin Auto-Adds Steam EA Games [09:47 am ET] - Share - 82 Comments

EA's Origin service can automatically find EA games on your system and add them to your Origin profile, reports Day One Patch, as a user reports finding a copy of Dead Space 2 purchased through Steam in their Origin account. In reporting this news, Joystiq has declared the process benign: "Origin is known to check out the file names on users' computers -- without reading or transmitting any private information back to EA, of course -- and it now uses that power to streamline your EA games lists. In other words, EA is using its power for good. And to better market its own titles."

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 am

Hmm, thanks for that. I suspected thats what it was doing.

I wonder how many more games Origin will find for me. So if I've already got it installed on my machine through STEAM, and that's how EA finds it, it's odd they would think I'd want to download it *again* and have another copy in a different cache using Origin.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:35 pm

That's what all the stuff in the EULA about it freely access your harddrives is about, he said optimistically.
I recall when I first installed Origin, it prompted me to input existing CD keys to obtain a digital copy for free, but none of my titles were supported. Too old, I guess.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:22 pm

It's just as well that I implicitly trust EA, because otherwise things like this would have me feeling rather concerned.

Return to “Other / Archive Games”