PlanetSide2

Other games and archived games forums. If something else becomes popular enough, we'll create a new forum for it.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

PlanetSide2

Postby Mort » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:13 pm

Here's an interesting looking game. It going to be a HUGE free-to-play environment (Hundreds of players in a game). You can of course choose to buy stuff in-game I imagine, but it will be completely free if you choose to have it so. It's had some good reviews from what has been shown so far, and for the price I reckon it's worth checking out.

You can sign up now for the Beta which is supposed to be coming really soon.

http://www.planetside2.com/?ref=planetside

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: PlanetSide2

Postby KRaM » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 pm

The game is live now - I am downloading it this evening and will give it a go tomorrow (good TV night tonight).

Keith

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:03 pm

Well all installed but all the servers are down. This would never happen with BF3 - oh wait - it would - repeatedly - and I would have paid for the privilege!

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 am

downloaded, installed...now just need to find time to play

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 am

Got on last night and played a round or two. Intial thoughts:
- ran OK on my rig on medium settings - not as pretty as BF3 though
- little bit confusing - big maps and took me a while to figure out where to go for the action - still not sure - story of my life!
- there are lot of people on these maps and lag seemed to be minimal - better thand BF3 from this perspective
- still tryingto figure out the unlocks - seems very BF3 like - if you shell out the cash you get more XP for the unlocks
- most other players seemed to be like me trying to figure out what to do
- freindly fire is always on which is a big change from BF3 - dont mind it though - makes you pause to identify freind or foe which isnt a bad dynamic

WIll give it another go but like you time is the limiting factor - especially with the next BF3 expansion pack coming out in December.

Keith

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 am

played on Saturday a little bit. There was only 1 AU server and i was also a bit confused. I could never work out where I was supposed to be heading.
also, i played the techie guys and half the team seemed to spend all of their time at the consoles building machines.

friendly fire- it's good that it is on but no one gives you the benefit of the doubt.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:52 am

Yes I still have to figure out about capping bases and linking up with your squad mates. The dynamic of being able to spawn on a squad member ala BF3 is something that I think would make the game better. Still a few times when it has all come together the battles have had an epic feel to them.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Sounds a lot like Tribes was. I never got the hang of that either. I still haven't downloaded Planetside, and it looks like I may get too busy leading up to Christmas to have a shot at it... Will have to see.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:26 am

After having played it a few times now I have decided I quite like it. Two tips:
- its worth watching some of the tutorial videos - especially around capping bases and communicating with squadmates
- the only worthwhile way to play the game is in a squad and a division - the best games I have played have been with a person on the squad who takes charge and gives orders - being part of a huge rolling offensive/defensive wave is a highlight of the game

Keith

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 am

After having played it a few times I have decided I don't like it very much. Mainly because I do not know what I am doing. and also becuase it seems that there are mostly peopel milling around not sure what to do, me included.

But that was before reading your post, Keith. Perhaps I will give it another go after watching the tutorials.

Do you play on the AU server? and being limited to one server per character is a bugger. since i will not pay to transfer my character i think it will get a bit boring.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:36 am

Just loaded it up.... crashes when starting on win8. I found a few posts from other people with the same issue and fixes, but I'll have to look it later.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:17 am

WTF, why are you even bothering with win8? MS started a project 3 months ago to fast-track the replacement...

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:04 pm

I was just about to have another crack at Planetside but there's been an update released that has to download first... 2.65GB Hmm, maybe later then.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Finished downloading the update and had another go. Same crash. A quick search found other people reporting issues when they had certain devices plugged in, namely joysticks.

Unfortunately a "fast-track replacement" for Windows 8 (No idea what you are talking about here Piers) wouldn't help here anyway because it's not specific to Win8, and it's the same problem I had with Arkham Asylum and BFBC2 (on Win7, although those games didn't crash, just acted strange) when I had my Logitech Extreme 3Dpro joystick plugged in. Both those games eventually released patches to fix the problem, but in the meantime I just have to unplug the joystick and it all works fine. From what I can tell it's a problem with the way those games detect the various D3D input devices.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:19 pm

KRaM wrote:After having played it a few times now I have decided I quite like it. Two tips:
- its worth watching some of the tutorial videos - especially around capping bases and communicating with squadmates
- the only worthwhile way to play the game is in a squad and a division - the best games I have played have been with a person on the squad who takes charge and gives orders - being part of a huge rolling offensive/defensive wave is a highlight of the game

Keith

I think I'm going to need to watch those tutorials. I hopped into a game, got killed a few times before I had a clue what was happening. Managed to kill a few people, worked out how to "spawn" vehicles (before realising there was a limited amount of resources available to use for vehicles... oops) Even capped a base or two, but for the most part just aimless wandering.

The game is pretty damn impressive though. The scale of the thing really is incredible, and the way the battles move around the maps actually works really well. I can see that it would have to be a free game just to keep enough people involved to make it work. A server with a dozen people just wouldn't be worthwhile, but with a hundred or so people it actually makes a lot of sense.

Return to “Other / Archive Games”