Kerbal Space Program

Other games and archived games forums. If something else becomes popular enough, we'll create a new forum for it.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Kerbal Space Program

Postby Mort » Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey look, its on special for the next 9 hours
http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby Mort » Fri May 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Some big differences between the demo and the full version... there are a lot of planets and moons you can travel to, and there are even asteroids now after they released an update that they worked on with NASA. There's a "claw" you can add to your ships to capture asteroids as well. I've managed to bring a couple of tiny ones back home and put them in orbit around Kerbin, but the bigger ones are proving a bit tougher.

FYI:
Kerbin: The planet they live on
Kerbals: The people that live on it
Mun: Kerbins largest moon
Kerman: The last name that all the Kerbals seem to have
KSC: Kerbal Space Centre

It's a good game for stress relief, you can just try building a stupid huge rocket and watch it explode, or try building ones that go really fast
The full version also has a space plane building mode so you can build and fly aircraft (very basic) and even stick the on a rocket and take them to another planet to try flying it there instead.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 09, 2014 8:39 pm

It can take a while to work out how to get around places, so it's a real challenge at first, but my learning progression was trial and error, followed by MOAR POWER, followed by BIGGER is BETTER, before learning that this actually is Rocket science, not NASCAR.

Getting to other planets took me a while. Learn basic orbit physics really helped as the "point at the target and throttle up" actually doesn't work how you might think it would. There's a Sandbox mode and a Career mode. In Sandbox all the parts are available to build with and there are no "deaths" to worry about. In Career mode you start with basic parts and have to "do science" to build up the tech tree and develop the space program to get more bits and pieces.

Here's a couple of screenshots I've taken on my adventures.
screenshot5.png

screenshot4.png

screenshot0.png

screenshot11.png

screenshot18.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 09, 2014 8:47 pm

screenshot41.png

screenshot43.png

screenshot50.png

screenshot55.png

screenshot56.png

screenshot58.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 09, 2014 9:00 pm

Some shots of the other planets and moons I've visited
screenshot28.png

screenshot28.png

screenshot30.png

screenshot61.png

screenshot63.png

screenshot64.png

screenshot62.png

screenshot79.png

screenshot81.png

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Most of the first missions to planets were unmanned one-way trips. I didn't know how to efficiently transfer orbits to other planets so they typically made it with just enough fuel to get into orbit.

My later missions were more than just fly-by's, all were manned return trips.

screenshot71.png

screenshot103.png

screenshot110.png

screenshot116.png

screenshot123.png

screenshot124.png

screenshot126.png

screenshot127.png

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 09, 2014 9:25 pm

The re-entry effects when coming into atmosphere is pretty cool
screenshot3.png

screenshot69.png

screenshot118.png

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat May 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Last night I went on an asteroid capture mission in Career mode. So far I had only ever done it in Sandbox mode where I had all the parts to build whatever I needed. Using my new found knowledge, I was able to capture an asteroid without some of the parts I had available previously.
screenshot129.png

I didn't get shots of the capture process (pretty much the same as before), but on the return trip I was able to plan a much better orbit around Kerbin. Normally asteroids come in retro-grade and at crazy orbit inclinations. Just correcting the angle in the past I would use so much fuel, but now I know better I can correct the angle AND put the asteroid into a pro-grade orbit so it's going the same way around as everything else.

I also decided to try something different with this one, using an aerobraking manoeuvre to slow down rather than the huge quantity of fuel normally required. As it turns out, I probably came in a bit low and almost had a catastrophic de-orbit, but luckily had enough velocity to push back up into a safe altitude. It still used a lot less fuel than normal to reduce the orbit from 52 million kms though.
screenshot137.png

After all that, I decided to try something new. A controlled de-orbit of the asteroid to see if it would survive impact, and if so, to start a collection. With a little help from a landing assistant, we set the KSC as the target and down we went
screenshot140.png

The ship did not survive, but no matter, I had already sent up another ship to collect Jebadiah Kerman while the asteroid was still in orbit
screenshot143.png

So I now have the beginnings of my rock garden that the Kerbals can use to contemplate life while waiting for their next launch
screenshot144.png

screenshot145.png

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat May 10, 2014 11:00 pm

Before bringing more rocks back for my contemplation rock garden, I decided it might be worthwhile seeing if I could actually move them around first.

So step one is moving them around on the ground. As it turns out, you can push them around. I built a bulldozer that does the job quite nicely.
screenshot148.png

You can even drive it from inside the operators module
screenshot147.png

Surprisingly, the rockets aren't really needed unless I need to push it up a hill. I guess the number of wheels I have gives enough push.
screenshot151.png

With the amount of pushing and banging and bashing going on, sometimes the tyres just can't handle the pressures and blow out. Luckily my operator can hop out and fix them
screenshot149.png

BTW: You can do an EVA to repair wheels, solar panels and repack parachutes. I'm not sure if there are other things you can repair or work on as well, but it does come in handy.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri May 23, 2014 8:46 am

Kerbal seems to have attracted some attention
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... -minecraft

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat May 24, 2014 12:46 pm

If anyone is interested, I'm going to try setting up a Kerbal Multiplayer Server! It's not the official Multi player function, but considering how easy mods are to add and remove I figure it can't hurt to give it a try.

You will need the full version of the game, and you can download the Mutliplayer client mod from here: http://kerbalspaceport.com/kmp-client/

You *should* be able to connect by going to "clan.buddabudda.com" as the server - Let me know if it doesn't work.

ACE
One of the guys
One of the guys

Postby ACE » Thu May 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Late news Kerbal Space Program has come out of beta with V1.0 I think its a great game

Return to “Other / Archive Games”