BUDDABUDDA LIVES AGAIN

General News to be shown on front page
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

BUDDABUDDA LIVES AGAIN

Postby Mort » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Wow, what a major PITA that was. After a really serious disk crash which required the services of a disk recover company to retrieve, we are finally back online again.

The really annoying part is that the disk crash decided to happen the week before I had planned to replace the disks anyway! If timing could be worse I'd like to know how.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Re: BUDDABUDDA LIVES AGAIN

Postby DJDrDamage » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:51 pm

phew!
i was getting twitchy, like a recovering alcoholic seeing elephants wizzing by...

thanks and sorry you had to go through it!

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm impressed that you managed to recover the data. I was expecting to see how good your backup processes were.

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:40 pm

The backup "process" was flawless, unfortunately the recovery process wasn't. :(

The main thing that saved me was that despite my mirrored RAID1 disks *both* failing at the same time, the recovery place was able to reconstruct a complete data set by taking the good stuff from one disk, and where the disk errors happened they used the other disk to fill in the gaps. I've checked over the entire data set and it was a 100% complete with no corruptions that I've been able to find.

The one machine that I did have a complete and working backup of (my domain controller) I had done manually just 4 days before the crash. Awesome co-incidence perhaps, but the fact that I still didn't win Powerball after getting my recovered data back proves that luck is just that; an interesting set of co-incidences and not some thing granted by a higher being.

Return to “News”