Well, that was fun

General News to be shown on front page
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Well, that was fun

Postby Mort » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Firstly, apologies for the rather extended outage.

After the last crash, I had a lot of recovery and rebuilding to do. Nothing was lost or damaged from the Buddabudda forums or site, but it was rather low on the list of priorities compared to the other stuff that needed to be done. I just wanted to be sure that the other servers were stable before I bought the BB stuff back up.

So, here it is. Again.

As part of my rebuilding, I've also narrowed down the "redirect" bug that causes you to be sent to the "post new message" page after submitting a new post. It also causes endless redirect loops after certain pages. I haven't fixed it in the current forums, but I have been able to build a fresh test install using the existing database and it doesn't have the bug. Now I just need to work out what is different between the two and it should be sorted.

Now that it is all back up again, I expect you have several weeks of catchup posting to do, so I expect the forums to be busier than they have been for a long time!

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Well, that was fun

Postby Brad » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 pm

So what was the problem with the server?

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:20 pm

If you really want to know...
http://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.com/2 ... -has-been/
http://kickthatcomputer.wordpress.com/2 ... xperience/

tl;dr version
4 disk RAID10 array decided to take 3 disks offline for no apparent reason
No array means no volumes, means bad things happen
Somehow backups all got corrupted by same "failure"
Essentially managed to scrape together from some older VM's that were offline and rebuild the rest with restores using bits and pieces where required

It's all working fine now, with some shiny new server builds that I had planned to do anyway, just not in quite this way. Thinking the disk "failure" is actually a driver issue as I've found some reports from others of perfectly good disks going offline. Not being marked as bad or anything, and they come back online and work perfectly.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:47 am

i missed the forum.

i liked this note from your post:
Change the date on the Hyper-V HOST computer to the day after the guest machine (7 Oct). The reason for this is that Hyper-V will ALWAYS set the guest computers “BIOS” clock to match the host whenever the guest restarts, EVEN IF THE GUEST TIME SYNC OPTION IS DISABLED!

good work on getting it back.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah, it does make sense when you realise the guest time sync is a service that runs in the guest OS. When a guest machine starts from cold, what time would its BIOS have if the host didn't set it? The guest computer wouldn't set itself to the time it was shutdown at, so its time would probably be 1/1/1970

Return to “News”