Forums Anti-Spambot update

General News to be shown on front page
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Forums Anti-Spambot update

Post by Mort » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Greetings all,

I have recently implemented a new anti-spam system on the forums to prevent "bot" registrations that attempt to get their dodgy websites linked on google etc.

Part of this process requires new registrations to enter a "location" in their profile, which is something bots often fail to do and makes them easy to detect.

To make this policy work forum wide, I need *EVERYONE* to update their forum profile to include a "Location". Ask if you need help.

Failure to do this may result in your forum account becoming inactive and possibly deleted. If this is not an issue for you then you need take no further action.

This setting will take effect next Saturday (24/2/2007) so please update your profile before then if you do not wish to have it deleted.

Please contact me if you have any questions or issues

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Post by DJDrDamage » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:43 am

thanks, scott.

location updated

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Well it looks like I got the system in place just in time. We had been getting about 2 fake registrations a week which annoyed me enough to implement this. In the last week though we have been getting 6 a day!

That would mean in 4 days there would have been more fake accounts than real accounts on our forums.

I'm not sure if that's a sad reflection on our popularity or an indication of our coolness by exclusivity.