Operation Shingle and Wake Island 2142

Anything about BF2142, tips, tricks, guides, links, and any discussion remotely related to the game.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Operation Shingle and Wake Island 2142

Postby Mort » Sat May 31, 2008 6:30 pm

Well, just had a couple of games on OpShingle and have come to the following conclusion.

There are only two kits worth playing. If you are playing on your own, then you play sniper. If you are playing with a team then you play medic. you will either get a brilliant KD, or you will be constantly killed by snipers from the many, many, sniping places this map has.

I think though that once you get used to the layout, this is going to be a brilliant map, unlike the waste of time that was whatever that other new map was.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: Operation Shingle and Wake Island 2142

Postby KRaM » Sat May 31, 2008 11:06 pm

Operation Shingle is one complex puppy. Wake is great - without the air imbalance that so dominated BF2 its a much better map. The attacker can win in two ways - winning the ticker count down or blowing the enemies titan which is docked.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:44 am

I've only played shingle so far. The Wake maps were all full, and I had to leave befoe the server I was on cycled around to it. Looking forward to it though.

At first I thought Shingle was total crap. I was getting sniped all the time, or running into two or three organised clan members. I was 2 deaths away from my first purple heart but luckily the tickets ran out! I was on the attacking team and we never got anywhere, it seemed so unbalanced.

Later I played again with some guys that had a clue and suddenly we were all over it. Attacking up and almost capped them out, but the layout makes it hard to get that so it keeps the game going by allowing lots of ways to keep sneaking around to back flags and regaining a flag. There are a lot of snipers, but also lots of easy dogtags once you find them :)

Bench

Postby Bench » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:44 pm

Mmmm Sniper, sounds like my cup of tea Mort. Looking forward to it, boo yah. gl every1, u won't c me, but i'll c u.

BigDaddyAdo
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby BigDaddyAdo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 pm

I have only had time to play maybe half a round on each map so far but i enjoyed them alot. Ill reserve my opinions until ive played a little more.

It was alot of fun spawning on the titan and seeing myself surrounded by baddies. I switched to the shotty and after about 3 or 4 spawns i had killed them all. :D

Ado
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:09 pm

I jumped on for a few seconds today. Removed all the grass from Wake, pathetic. I couldn't stand it after a month of COD4. Took me forever to kill this guy who was facing away. No atmosphere at all. I think I'm going to do the uninstall. Loved it but that was then. I'm already a general after 36 hours of play on COD4. Less variety of things to do in COD4 but what it does it does so well.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

BigDaddyAdo

Postby BigDaddyAdo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:26 pm

Jeff wrote:I jumped on for a few seconds today. Removed all the grass from Wake, pathetic. I couldn't stand it after a month of COD4. Took me forever to kill this guy who was facing away. No atmosphere at all. I think I'm going to do the uninstall. Loved it but that was then. I'm already a general after 36 hours of play on COD4. Less variety of things to do in COD4 but what it does it does so well.

Jeff

So thats a big thumbs down is it Jeff??? :lol:

Ado
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Yeah

I'm a big fan of theme and atmosphere in a game. My favourite BF game was Vietnam followed by 1942 and BF2. The backend machanics and stats of 2142 are fantastic and I enjoyed playing it for 12 months, and I doubt I'll get as much out of COD but the graphics and action is full on.

It just bothers me that they have run away from detailed environments in 2142. In COD every map is like BF 2 Karkand on steriods. Infantry only is fun as well.

So yeah, the time is up.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:22 pm

My feelings are the opposite - the team work emphasis, the game play, the vechicles all made me remember why I like this 2142 so much.

COD4 is pretty but its run and gun action - run and gun action that TF2 does infinitely better.

Keith

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Keith

I can totally see where you are coming from and it leads me to be frustrated more with 2142. In many ways I agree with you, I wish for a 2142 with atmosphere. Certainly there are plenty of pretty games that have crap gameplay and I hate these games and I can love ugly games with great gameplay. But COD4 does intense infantry battles better than 2142 ( when you play alone, which we all do most of the time these days). I have played COD enough now to have some tactics going and I do quite well. TF2 is fun but for me, not as emersive. I may join you in the GTA IV world this time Keith.

Jeff

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:10 pm

I may join you in the GTA IV world this time Keith.

I have some hopes pinned on Left 4 Dead as well - but that puppys not out till November.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:32 pm

Without being too much of a pain, could we maybe make this topic about the new maps? I have no problems with you starting a new topic if you wish to discuss the various merits (or lack thereof) of the various FPS titles.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Sooorrrryyyy Scott :oops:

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:37 am

I have no problems with you wanting to say whatever you want, but if anyone wants to actally talk about the maps then it just makes things rather annoying to actually find stuff about the maps...

Anyway...

Operation Shingle... Absolutely LOVE IT. For the first time I will constantly mix it up now between support, Medic, and a bit of recon. I've only usually stick with a single kit once I get into the groove, but Shingle really works well for switching around. Snipers still have a lot of advantage, but if they think they can just pick a spot and camp they won't last long. You can do really well as a sniper, but you need to keep moving to new spots to stay alive. Assault for any time you are attacking a position, and Support when you are defending. All works out really well.

Wake... Yeah, it's interesting and a bit of fun. No point trying to compare it to BF2 Wake in anyway though. BF2 Wake was much better, apart from the Apache and Jet raping. I'm not really sure what kit works for me on this one. Engineer and try to armour whore maybe, but with the titan in the middle there is a chance for some really cool infantry battles over the entire titan as there are no shields stopping you getting anywhere you want. I don't think it will become a favourite for me though.

Return to “BF2142”