ea downloader

Anything about BF2142, tips, tricks, guides, links, and any discussion remotely related to the game.
nutsloose
Comfortable with my sexuality

ea downloader

Postby nutsloose » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:23 pm

i would love to play 2142 again once in a while but when i click on the shortcut i just get the spinning circle for approx 5 secs then nothing , no game starts. Also using the ea downloader clicking on play does the same . Do i need to download it again , and if so how do i do that when the ea downloader does not give me the option.? I still have it on my old pc , the new one is running vista 32 bit, i can remember playing it once or twice some time ago on the new pc . I have downloaded patch 1.5 and ran this.
Clan Explosive Expert

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: ea downloader

Postby KRaM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:28 pm

Hmm - no idea all the cool kids are playing TF2 and Heros of Might and Magic V these days.

I have started up BF2142 a couple of times and havent had any problems since the last patch. Maybe its time for a reinstall?

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 pm

If you are logging into EA Downloader OK, then I'd suggest clearing the game cache (*Not* the EA Downloader cache!), followed by re-installing the patch if it still doesn't work, and then the whole game again if it *still* doesn't work.

(Insert game cache directory here when I get home and can check. It's something like [userprofile]\my documents\appdata\ea\battlefield2142\...)

I usually make sure EA Downloader is logged in properly before starting the game itself as it will just sit there for ages trying to login otherwise.

Does the game itself start but you just can't join any servers, or does it not even load up? Are you able to launch a single player game?

nutsloose

Postby nutsloose » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:45 pm

The game does not even load up in either single play or multi. I just get the round blue spinning disk (like the hour glass) for about 4 to 5 seconds then nothing as if i haven't even started bf2142. Is there a big file i should be looking for to make sure it is still on my hard drive in the ea /bf2142 folder .
Clan Explosive Expert

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:46 pm

I assume you are running on Vista then (spinning disk)? Have you had it working under Vista before?

Try right-clicking the icon on the desktop and selecting the "run as administrator" option and see if it works any better.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 pm

Scott you little prick tease put the man out of his misery!

REINSTALL!

Keith

nutsloose

Postby nutsloose » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 pm

uninstalled and reinstalled then ran the patch 1.5 . Still no changed and tried run as admin . It did mention to make sure directx9 was installed when downloading but i think i am running direct x 10 would that make any difference.?
Clan Explosive Expert

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 am

So have you had it working on Vista before?

I forgot to check the cache location... you need to delete that manually as it isn't removed when you uninstall/reinstall. It also has your settings config file, and chances are just deleting that and making BF start with all default might sort it out.

There's a bunch of other needle in a haystack type suggestions I could make, but best to try the easier and more obvious ones first. I didn't have any issues running on Vista, but that was quite some time ago and the latest Service Pack may have changed things a bit.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:11 pm

The cache stuff is all under your "My Documents" directory in a folder called "Battlefield 2142". Just delete (or maybe rename) that whole folder. It should be re-created fresh when you get 2142 running again.

The only other suggestion I have at the moment is to manually update your punkbuster crap. Try this page to manually update punkbuster using pbsetup from even balance (the bastards who created this thing).

If it's any consolation, you don't seem to be the only one with this problem. You don't need to read the whole thread, he hasn't got it working yet either!

nutsloose

Postby nutsloose » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks Mort for the info , the link describes exactly the problem i am having and they are still trying to get it fixed . . . I looked for my documents , i take it it is just documents on vista , there was no folder with battlefield 2142 , the only place with anything is under program files /electronic arts/battlefield 2142. I remember playing 2142 a couple of times when i first got my machine up and running but i am not sure since the new patch. (1.5) . the only consolation is i can still run it on my old machine .. Great one EA.. one of your best.. and trying to post anything on the ea help line is also crap , comes up with an error.. .

Piers

Postby Piers » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:46 pm

I've already posted the way to fix this twice on our forums (search for "compatability").

Basically, you do this:

1. Go to the .exe file (BF2142Pace.exe) and right click it and select compatibility mode for "Windows 2000".
2. Run the game.
3. You may want to remove the compatibility mode next time you run the game, as the game seems to work fine again without it.

Sometimes it won't fix it immediately - try running from the "Play 2142" shortcut rather than running PAce directly, as it'll kick in Core if it's not got you logged in to the master server properly. (If you've turned off Core or blocked it in your firewall setup, change it).

If it's *really* sticky, I hammer away at 2142pace until one of them "sticks" and it starts up, but often when this happens there'll be a really big lag and them it'll start up anyway.

See:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=807&p=5586&hilit=compatability#p5586 - this also includes Brad's rants about 2142 and Vista not playing well together.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=356&p=2627&hilit=compatability#p2627

and:
http://forums.filefront.com/bf-2142-pro ... start.html
http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jsp ... =2#1467248

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:41 am

The simplest fix here is to:

1. double click on the Steam icon
2. launch Team Fortress 2
3. never have any problems at all with launching, playing the game, reinstalls, long loading times again

Keith

nutsloose

Postby nutsloose » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks Piers , you got me all excite thinking i would be able to play once more, but ah it still does not work . I have tried setting the compatibility to every one that i could select and it still just gives me the spinning circle for 5 or so seconds then nothing . ho humm...
Clan Explosive Expert

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:13 pm

I was stuck in that situation for a long time. At some stage between a complete rebuild of the machine on Vista and then a fresh reinstall of BF2142 it just started working for no apparent reason. I never did find out why...

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Are you fucking stupid or something?

The simplest fix here is to:

1. double click on the Steam icon
2. launch Team Fortress 2
3. never have any problems at all with launching, playing the game, reinstalls, long loading times again

Keith

Works everytime. Valve *like* their customers.

Keith

Return to “BF2142”