BF2142 beta underway with limitied info

Anything about BF2142, tips, tricks, guides, links, and any discussion remotely related to the game.
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

BF2142 beta underway with limitied info

Postby Mort » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:24 pm

Apparently there is an NDA in force so there is very limited info about the current beta that is being tested.

However, this guy (being a DICE person) has an article regarding the vehicles in the game..
http://pc.ign.com/articles/725/725454p1.html

And man does it look good....

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:30 pm

According to a reasonably reliable source, the open Beta will start tomorrow: http://forums.fevergaming.com/showthread.php?t=88199
If there timing is correct, that is about 1 am our time.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:53 pm

I've been watching a bunch of videos of the Beta on you tube. The only conclusion that I can come to is that the Beta automatically makes you play like complete a noob. Aiming seems to be optional.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:09 pm

Battlefield 2142 coming to EA Downloader Battlefield 2142 will be available to pre-order on EA Downloader in September with a unique incentive - a 24-hour exclusive pass to play the demo before its public release. You could be one of the first to get into the demo of the most-anticipated game of 2006. Avoid the queues and don't wait for the mail - get it on Downloader and get it delivered direct to your desktop.

Now call me old fashion but in my day the idea behind a demo was to let you try the game BEFORE you bought it.......

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:14 pm

Yeah, but this way you get to spend at least the whole 24 hour advance period waiting to download it from the US with all the other people who thought they'd get it early, rather than waiting until the next day when you can download it from a local mirror and still get it faster than the people still downloading it from the US. :D

Brad

Postby Brad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:04 pm

EA Australia now has the release date for the games as 10 October.
Plan your leave now :)

b

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:07 pm

Brad wrote:...that is about 1 am our time...

B

...which means that by the time we get up in the morning, all the spaces have been filled and Australia has no chance of participating. Only a few weeks until the demo arrives anyway.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:05 pm

http://pc.ign.com/articles/729/729815p1.html

Interesting article on the scoring system in 2142.

Keith

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:13 pm

Official release date is now 17 October, plus some new beta keys becoming available:

DICE and EA Extend Battlefield 2142 Beta, Open 10,000 Seats to Public

The Battlefield 2142 public beta period has been extended until Tuesday, September 12. In addition, due to the overwhelming response to the beta, DICE and EA have opened 10,000 new slots to the public.

The 10,000 new slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis starting Friday, September 8th at 10am PST. A free GameSpy ID is required to participate.

A new version of the tuning beta is also available now, which already includes more than 1,000 changes to the game based on feedback from the beta to date. Current players will need to download the new client, but no new access key is required.

The beta has been a huge success over the past two weeks, with more than 65,000 gamers participating, helping DICE secure a clean launch for the game on October 17th.

Good to see they want Australian participation in the Beta. 10am PST = 3am EST Australia. If anyone happens to be up trying to get keys, you just need a gamespy account. Create a new account, get a key, rinse, repeat and see if you can get enough for all of us. I don't plan to be up...

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 pm

Has anyone downloaded it at all? I'm wondering if it will just let you wander around the maps and try it out without having a key, but the key is required to get online...

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:04 pm

A review of BF2142 and its performance with high end cards.

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle ... chid=12151

When they start talking about the mid and lower level cards it might become a bit more interesting.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm

A GeForce 7800GTX is a high end card of yesteryear? Geez, that must make my poor 6800GT simply antique!

However, the 6800GS managed 25fps at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 16xAF, so I would imagine turning the res down to 1024x768 and ditching the AA and AF and it will probably be perfectly playable.

I think I'll wait until HardOCP or Toms does a benchmark with a *HUGE* range of cards and settings to see what my upgrade requirements will be. This review is a little limited in their testing criteria.

Does anyone play with AA turned on? At what res? I would have thought that AA was purely designed to assist low resolutions, so I'm not really sure how it helps having 8xAA when you are running at 1600x1200 and above!

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Mort wrote:Has anyone downloaded it at all? I'm wondering if it will just let you wander around the maps and try it out without having a key, but the key is required to get online...

There are NDAs in force, so you can't get into it at all without a key.

B

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:57 pm

Mort wrote:Does anyone play with AA turned on? At what res? I would have thought that AA was purely designed to assist low resolutions, so I'm not really sure how it helps having 8xAA when you are running at 1600x1200 and above!

I think the point of running it at 16x12 with AA is because you can :)

I used to run with AA, but I was still getting frame rates on Iron Gator getting a bit low, so I turned it off. I'm limited by the size of the monitor at present - 1280x1024 with everything on is OK for me. I should really download FRAPS to work out what frame rates I'm getting.

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:12 pm

I just have FRAPS running all the time now. THat way I can tell if I hit a laggy moment if it is because of my internet connection (hence imminent server disconnect) or if it is just my machine hitting the wall.

I haven't had any issues performance or otherwise leaving it running the whole time, and sitting up the top left I hardly even notice it so it doesn't bother me at all.

Return to “BF2142”