Gameplay discussion

Enemy Territory:Quake Wars
Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Gameplay discussion

Postby Brad » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Okay, played it for about 3 hours last night, online so I'll start a discussion going for tips and tricks.

My notes so far:

Once people start getting good this game is going to need rebalancing:
- the strogg personal flyer things are insanely annoying on the other side. It's like having a mosquito around that you can't kill. Doesn't do too much damage, but really hard to get rid of. Plus they let the strogg get to places that nobody else can. When combined with the sniper rifles, this can be very unbalancing.
- the sniper rifles on both sides are in the "you see them - you kill them" category for infantry. I've racked up big scores picking off 20+ kills in a row from the other side of the map. They have a long zoom, no noticable bullet drop and a head shot is a one shot kill.
- the winning or losing a game is almost entirely dependent upon the competence of the engineers. Setting up the turrets and what have you is key to taking and holding key points.
- crouching doesn't seem to give as much of a benefit as in BF. If you get into a 1-1 fight, you're better off keeping moving, rather than crouching to give accuracy. In BF, I found an aimed shot from a crouch was the quickest way to win that sort of situation, but it doesn't work in QW.

More when I think of it.
B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:44 pm

I played for an hour and I felt like cannon fodder. I played with the rocket launcher abit and found that to be deadly. I need to adjust my gameplay a little altough running and shooting comes naturally to me. I found the game sort of one dimensional, a lot of the technology that are upgrades in BF are standard in QW. But I blame me as I didn't really try to do anything other than kill and survive.

You do seem to run insanely fast.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

BigDaddyAdo

Postby BigDaddyAdo » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:47 pm

I played for about an hour. I had a hell of a time trying to figure shit out while dodging bullets. I need to play it a bit more i guess before i start bagging it out. I didnt play online though so maybe that will make the playing field a little more level as the bots were pretty good :D .

Ado
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Jeff wrote:I found the game sort of one dimensional, a lot of the technology that are upgrades in BF are standard in QW.

There are upgrades - faster running, quicker reloads etc etc. In the demo it tracks your stats for as long as you are playing, so if you play for a couple of hours you'll see the first couple of bonuses.

BigDaddyAdo wrote:I didnt play online though so maybe that will make the playing field a little more level as the bots were pretty good

The few really good players online can make it a bit daunting. eg the bouncy jetpack thingys the strogg have, which lob grenades are not really used well by the bots. And the sniping online is absurd.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:21 pm

I was reading on the official EWQT forums about some clans that were on the beta program actually apologising for owning all the noob demo players.

Anyone who had been on the beta test is going to completely own all us noobs. I'll post tips that some of the beta testers are making to keep the noobs interested in playing. There are actually some out there who are concerned that the really good players from the beta are going to scare off players like us from wanting to get into the full game, so they are trying to help us out to skill us up quicker.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:07 pm

I had a good 30 minute run tonight - not blown away.

Spent most of the time wandering around wondering wtf I was suppose to be doing, the interface seems to be very cluttered.

I also wonder if the lack of squad play will screw the game somewhat. Cant imagine VOIP is going work without players being able to broken into smaller groups.

Right now not too enthusiastic on purchasing it. Will give it a bit more of a go though.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:23 pm

KRaM wrote:Spent most of the time wandering around wondering wtf I was suppose to be doing, the interface seems to be very cluttered.
I found it rather "busy" as well. Not really sure what all the crap on the screen is supposed to mean, if anything. Most of it seemed FYI only and not really serving any purpose.

KRaM wrote:Cant imagine VOIP is going work
You'll be pleased to know then that it doesn't have any in-game VOIP. And from what I can tell, you don't have squads, but just groups of people who have chosen the same objective.

I can't say I was really hooked by it, but i will give it a few more goes. First hing I need to do is lower my graphics settings even more :( 17fps is just enough to see the bad guys shooting at you without being able to do anything about it.

I did manage to "knife" a few people, but it seems even buggier than the BF2142 knife, and the lack of a dogtag type reward certainly removes the thrill.

vetter/sonic

Postby vetter/sonic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:04 pm

no idea what the hells going with that game
i need a turtorial

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:39 am

vetter/sonic wrote:no idea what the hells going with that game
i need a turtorial

Not to mention a shift key and a spell check.

Try http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.games ... /index.php everyone for lots of info.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:20 pm

http://4newbies.planetwolfenstein.games ... amwork.php

Mentions Fire teams so there is a squad format. It seems that the XP max's out fairly quickly and the upgrades occur automativally in game and disapear after you finish playing. IE you don't hold onto them.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:18 pm

I tihnk the fire teams are what I mentioned are the people who have all chosen to work on the same objective. At least that's what I noticed, but then again, there's so much happening in this game it's more likely than not that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:01 pm

If you don't choose a fire team, it automatically groups you with the people with the same objective.

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Well, I definately need to do some learnin' on this thing. None of it has struck me as immediately intuituve yet.

I'm going to start a poll... who the hell uses the Q and E keys to look around corners. By the time you carefully position yourself to be able peek around without actually walking out past the wall, someone will have come up behind you and blown the back of your head off. Basically the average life time seems to be about 15 seconds, are you really going to bother being that carefull about not being shot at?

Return to “ET:QW”