Steam Stream!

Anything about HL, HL2, Source, STEAM, or any other HL2 based games like Portal etc.
(TF2 still gets its own special one at the moment)
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Steam Stream!

Postby Mort » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Just discovered steam supports "Streaming" of a game from one computer to another on the same network, and it works surprisingly well!

Both computers have to be on the same network, ideally wired, but it was working fine for me going from my desktop (as the host) and playing on my Laptop which was connected over WiFi. There is a small and noticeable difference in frame rate, but it would really depend on the game. Overall, I was impressed that it worked at all, and quite impressed that it was very playable.

So you could have your kick-ass rig running the game in another part of the house, but play the actual game from another lower spec machine somewhere.

Will definitely be experimenting with this a bit more.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: Steam Stream!

Postby KRaM » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:13 pm

I have seen this come up a few times in the little laptop we have upstairs but have never given it a go. I recently took the plunge and got a cabel run from the upstairs TV room to the downstairs study so I now have the modem in the centre of the house behind the TV, I should hook up the little laptop and see how it works - this assumes I can wrestle control of the TV from my significant other and avoid the compulsery assistance of the 3 year old. Hmm maybe some time will open in my schedule in 2023.........

Can recommend Sydney Electrical & Data Pty Ltd BTW for cabling. Came in did the job, tested the phone line and set everything up no problems (although for a $400 price tag which was $100 cheaper than Cable Up). Still no more dicking around with wireless extenders, drop outs when playing music from the media server on the Amp and a solid connection when out on the verandah - what price convenience!

Keith

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 am

the downside for me is that every time I come home, my computer is running The Lego Movie videogame which the twins are playing in the next room.
It even worse when they launch it unexpectedly when I'm using my computer.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Steam also lets you setup a family sharing thing. I now have a different account for each family member (you could just do each computer) and then share the games in a family library that they can all play. It will still limit it to one person playing on one computer at a time, but it means you can let them have "family friendly" games available on their computer that you buy on your account.

Return to “Half Life and STEAM”