Valve ! <3 Win8

Anything about HL, HL2, Source, STEAM, or any other HL2 based games like Portal etc.
(TF2 still gets its own special one at the moment)
Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Valve ! <3 Win8

Postby Piers » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 am

https://allthingsd.com/20120725/valves- ... -and-more/

“We want to make it as easy as possible for the 2,500 games on Steam to run on Linux as well. It’s a hedging strategy. I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space. I think we’ll lose some of the top-tier PC/OEMs, who will exit the market. I think margins will be destroyed for a bunch of people. If that’s true, then it will be good to have alternatives to hedge against that eventuality.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Valve ! <3 Win8

Postby Mort » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 am

So many lolz.
All my games run better on win8 than win7, and DirectX has long been acknowledged as far superior to the mess that OpenGL has become. The only way that will change is if Valve takes over writing a new OpenGL stack, and then somehow manages to resolve all the issues between different editions of Linux. In an attempt to fix itself, OpenGL keeps deprecating old functions, which then breaks older games (>2 years!) while I can still play any old DirectX game without any problems. Maybe old games aren't so much a concern to him... Oh yeah, except when steam sells them off for $2 a pop and then people find they don't actually work.

Win8 will be a catastrophe? I doubt it will be. It may not be a killer hit, but hardly a bomb. Linux and open source concepts are great, but the constant issue of fragmentation and needing to support so many *current* versions is still the thing that holds Linux back. It's been "the year of Linux" every year for at least the last 10 years. Does Gabe think he's the one to finally make it happen? Linux won't be going away anytime soon, but the world is still waiting for a *REAL* V1.0 for the desktop.
So many lolz

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:21 pm

A point he is also making is that:

On some versions of Windows 8, it will be the only way to get downloadable software such as games.
...Microsoft takes a cut, up to 30%, of every sale made through this store.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18996377

Steam has been great for buying old and new games, especially games from small developers
BUT:
how much do they charge developers? is it a lot less than M$ would charge small developers?
and although I have bought games llike Half-Life 2 and maybe Skyrim through Steam, i would have been just as happy to buy the game as a DVD and then NOT used Steam.

and so, the use of Steam is just a monitoring and sales tool for Valve.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 pm

"up to 30%"... I wonder what he has based those figures on? There's probably a fixed rate of $0.30 per app sold, so if you sell an app for $1, there's your 30%

Besides, that's only if you sell apps through the MS Marketplace. Steam will still be free to operate just the way they do now, so what's the deal. Valve is probably just pissed that they can't ask for a 30% cut from the games they sell... or perhaps they do given a lot are the same price as DVD version!

Distribution, Marketing and sales challenges are completely different to the "technical" ones of which OS's you target and why.

Brad

Postby Brad » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:32 pm

Mort wrote:"up to 30%"... I wonder what he has based those figures on?

Apple takes a fixed 30% cut from the iOS app store. Wouldn't surprise me if MS took it as a benchmark.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Return to “Half Life and STEAM”