HL2E2 broken?

Anything about HL, HL2, Source, STEAM, or any other HL2 based games like Portal etc.
(TF2 still gets its own special one at the moment)
Matt
Comfortable with my sexuality

HL2E2 broken?

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Anyone else having problems getting steam to update episode 2. Its so frustrating, as I am on the last level where I finally get to do Alyx (or am I only imagining that is where the game is leading).
Once I did a boom gnarly stunt trick on it and a girl got pregnant just by watching my extremeness to the maxxxx.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:20 am

I was playing the other night without any problems.

Keith[/quote]

Matt

Postby Matt » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:18 pm

my game cache was corrupted. I had to reinstall HL2, but my saved games were intact luckily.
Once I did a boom gnarly stunt trick on it and a girl got pregnant just by watching my extremeness to the maxxxx.

Ed

Re: HL2E2 broken?

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:52 pm

I get a regular crash in HL2 Episode 2 (which is the best installment so far in my opinion) every time I play.

After playing for about half an hour, a message appears in the top right hand corner saying "Warning OS Paged Pool Memory"
After about another 5-10minutes I get the blue screen of death. If I restart HL2, the crash is avoided for another half hour. Any ideas what is causing this?

Also, has anyone worked out how to get the achievement "Kill a zombine with his own grenade"? I have taken the grenade with the gravity gun before and thrown it back at the zombine to kill it but don't get the achievement.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:35 pm

Steal a Zombine's grenade is one achievment, but the one you are trying to get is the kill a Combine Soldier with his own grenade... not a Zombine.

As for the crashing thing, I would guess either a bad app (anti-virus or something) causing a memory leak and/or a physical memory fault in a stick of RAM. Try playing with as many "extra" startup programs as you can close down and see if it makes a difference.

Ed

Postby Ed » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Doesn't fix the problem... I shut down all the extras, including AVG but still get the same crash. Shutting off all the extras delays the crash. Weird, this crash only happens when I am playing HL2 Episode 2 and Team fortress 2. Doesn't happen when I play counterstrike or any other games.

Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:59 pm

I fixed the "low Paged pool memory" crash I kept having with Team Fortress 2 and HL2 Ep2. The solution is to completely uninstall AVG and all AVG components - shutting it down does not solve the problem.

The solution is here if anyone is interested:
http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin ... _topview=1

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 am

I assume you then downlaoded and installed the latest version from scratch then? I've been using AVG forever and I didn't experience that problem, so perhaps it was just a bad engine update or something...

Ed

Postby Ed » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Mort wrote:I assume you then downlaoded and installed the latest version from scratch then? I've been using AVG forever and I didn't experience that problem, so perhaps it was just a bad engine update or something...

I did but AVG continues to crash TF2. I think it has something to do with the allocation in the Kernel Memory. At the time of the crash when AVG is installed, my system info shows the "paged physical = approx 90,000 and "Paged Virtual = approx 150,000" I have a screendump of the system info before it crashes if there was a way to post it to this thread.

This is the quote from the Steam forums:

"In practice, we have found that certain antivirus systems allocate a large amount of paged pool memory that cannot be freed until the antivirus software is fully uninstalled. Specifically, AVG, Norton and NOD32 have been identified as antivirus packages that allocate large amounts of paged pool memory and directly interfere with Source engine games."

So for now I have a choice between playing TF2 or having AVG. I got 10 kills in a single session with Heavy the other night with no medic support.

Return to “Half Life and STEAM”