Knife and Pistol badges

Strategy, bragging, rants, or anything to do with playing the game itself...

BF2:classic, BF2:EU, BF2:SF, BF2:AF
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Knife and Pistol badges

Postby Mort » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:51 pm

So Brad,

How did you get your knife and pistol badges? I had a couple of goes and managed a max of 3 kills with either one during a whole round. and the whole time I was severly gang raped by the enemy troops.

I totally forgot to re-read the knife and pistol guides on "that" website which I have now done, but just wondering if you had any additional words of wisdom to add...

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:23 am

Knife badge was quite fun - I was playing Sharqi, hanging around the city entrance flag. Wait for a squad to sneak in to cap the flag, then approach from around the back of the building. Most people tend to be focussing on the other direction.

Once you get the hang of knife kills it gets addictive. It is a one hit kill - close combat (playing using a kit that includes a vest) you can rack up knife kills without too many problems. It'll hurt your K:D in the short term though.

To get the pistol badge, there are 2 schools of thought. You can play sniper, and try to finish people off with the pistol. A body shot with the US or unlock rifle does 95% damage, then one or two pistol hits will kill. The problem I have with this is:
(i) I'm aiming for the head, not the body, to get a one shot kill with the rifle.
(ii) The silenced pistol has a really bad sight when zoomed, so getting that pistol hit is quite difficult at long range.

The other option is using the pistol up close and personal, which I use quite a lot. When you empty a clip, get in the habit of switching to the pistol and emptying that clip too. You can often get a kill. The key thing is to empty the whole clip - it takes a lot of hits with the pistol to get the kill.
The assault or medic is my preferred option for this - the non-silenced pistol is much easier to aim when zoomed.

One of these days I'll try for the veteran badges, as long as I'm collecting them. Assuming I ever find time to play again - it has been a long week or two.

B

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:15 pm

A link Keith found but decided to email rather than post in the forums :roll:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... tlefield+2

He makes it look oh so easy, however I think it's worth a shot in the way he's done it... That would be nice, earning my Expert knife badge on the first attempt at any of the knife badges :axe:

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:38 pm

Pretty much all of them seem to be him sneaking up behind people. The dive move is also popular.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:40 pm

Another link with knife fighting tactics.

http://media.putfile.com/knifefight69

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:15 am

Stupid knife badge...

Had a long day yesterday, got home and realised I haven't done my GST BAS yet. Racing around trying to put it all together, then found the software I use to connect to the ATO doesn't work, luckily I then realised I have until the 28th and not the 21st as I had thought!

After all that, I felt really pissed off so I decided to go for my knife badge (I mean, if Keith can get it so easily!).

Well, I tried a couple of different servers and and at best I was lucky to get 3 kills, but everyone just shot me down. Hardly ever had a chance to sneak up anyone as I was constantly getting put on the side that was already winning which means it's really hard to sneak up behind people when they have no bases to spawn at. I managed to keep up a reasonable score though by just picking people off with the sniper rifle.

So, don't try going for the knife badge really late at night when you are tired, and cranky at the ATO. And I think playing in the middle of the day when servers aren't being 0wn3d by other clans might help as well.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:17 pm

I am sure the time of day helped. Go the Sharqi Peninsula only server and as I said go wide and behind. Going around the back of alleyway was where I got quite a few of them.

Keith

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:39 pm

Brad wrote:The other option is using the pistol up close and personal, which I use quite a lot. When you empty a clip, get in the habit of switching to the pistol and emptying that clip too. You can often get a kill. The key thing is to empty the whole clip - it takes a lot of hits with the pistol to get the kill.
The assault or medic is my preferred option for this - the non-silenced pistol is much easier to aim when zoomed.
B

I used the silent pistol with the up close and personal technique. I found with the standard pistol they could figure out where you were (behind you) turn around and tag you.

With the silent pistol meanwhile they had no idea where the damage was coming from and those extra few milliseconds allowed me to pump those precious 5 bullets into them.

Keith

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:11 pm

One thing about the veteran knife badge. You need 50 kills and then need the 7 IAR. I just got 9 in Sharqi which took me well over the 50 but no badge :cry:

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:48 pm

It might still come through, but I think you need to have already had the 50 kills up front. I've had a couple of awards appear the next day, even though it didn't give the in-game announcement.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:55 pm

I will be dissappointed if that happens - it would be so much sweeter for it to happen in play. I got the promotion earlier today - two unlocks!

Keith

Piers

Postby Piers » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:54 am

Seeing as I'm within spitting distance of promotion, I'm switching to nothing but knife or pistol from hereon until I either get the badge or get promoted, I'm cheesed at just missing the knife badge on Warlord the other night, but it shows I'm close.
I'm also much more willing to whip out my pistol than previously, which surprises opponents so much they die immediately.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:46 pm

Well if you don't get the badge then you won't be getting promoted!

Just watch that when you count you don't forget to deduct any small arms kills that you end up doing. Your total knife kills is only at 6 last I checked so I suspect you may have shot a few people and miss counted how many knife kills you actually had. I know I made that mistake a couple of times.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:53 pm

iif you are going for the knife only use the knife - become the knife - use the knife - love the knife - listen to Mac the knife etc etc

If you want we can try a double team thang. I have heard that one guy with a flash bang supporting the other with a knife can rack up some kills.

Keith

misterhotfoot

Postby misterhotfoot » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:28 am

I dunno if this will help anyone but it helped me...... I mapped my kinfe to the the mouse wheel click button for a quick weapon change. So you can run around in the kit of choice and whip out the kinfe in an instant when required.
This way I wasn't fodder all the time...... although most of the time I'm fodder anyway. :?

Return to “BF2 (and all its mods)”