GTAIV Video glitches and install problems

All things Grand Theft Auto and its many bastard offspring
KRaM
Clan Poet

GTAIV Video glitches and install problems

Post by KRaM » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:01 pm

Hmm well deep sigh.

Couldtn help myself last night and splashed out on the Steam version. Got it up and running but its pretty much unplayable as there is a glitch in my drivers which needs to be fixed. The link below is exactly what I am seeing when I run the game.

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/gt ... s/7900.doc

Rockstar must have adopted the EA view to testing - ie dont.

deep sigh

Keith

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: GTAIV

Post by Piers » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Ditto - and it's not in the readme file!
I have the retail copy - glossy magazine & map, more like the GTA 3 packaging than San Andreas.

EB George St tried to stiff me for the extra $20 but I told them they'd had a pre-order deal.
The store 'manager' - a spotty youth of immoral habits - denied this but told his large-breasted assistant to give it to me as a price match.
I bit my tonuge and didn't tell her to give me anything else while she was down there.

Should have though.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:20 am

Well this from Blues News :

GTA4 PC Problems [December 04, 2008, 08:57 am ET] - Share - 72 Comments

There are problems being reported on the Steam Users' Forums by users trying to run the just-released Windows edition of Grand Theft Auto IV, leading to a couple of sticky threads on a Missing Textures Issue and simply How To Get GTAIV Running. Also, Kotaku notes a considerable outcry over problems with the game on the GTAForums and GTAGaming. There's a statement from Rockstar on GTAGaming saying: "We are aware that a small number of fans are having problems running GTA IV on their PC’s and we would like to assure them we are working to help solve these as quickly as possible." In the meantime they recommend contacting technical support through phone numbers in the user manual and consulting rockstargames.com/support/ for helpful information. This support information includes a graphics settings explanation and details on all of the game's error codes.

Nice to hear that I am only part of a small group.

Keith

Piers

Post by Piers » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:17 pm

There's a fix on Guru3D which defintely worked for me - I can see where I'm driving now, and have just done my first stunt jump. :)

Article is at http://www.guru3d.com/news/gta-4-pc-qui ... vga-issues and they recommend the downloading of a beta driver, 180.70 (with the usual caveats).
I eagerly await the patch to enable SLI support for GTAIV, I'm amazed it was released without it (anyone reminded of EA rushing BF2142 out for the Christmas market?)

So I won't have to go back and demand a bl0wj()b then. :(

Ed

Post by Ed » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:01 pm

I pre-ordered my copy from EB Pitt st and picked it up yesterday, they also tried to screw me on the $20 discount.

The installation was a f*cking nightmare. You have to set up a "rockstar social club" account, enter serial number to register answer confirm email etc etc. THEN, you have to set up a "Windows Live Tag" which kept recognizing my PC as an Xbox for some reason. THEN, you have to link you Rockstar tag to you Windown LIve tag and the Windows Live server was down last night because everyone was trying to connect.

So finally, about 1.5 hours later, after doing all this and installing various patches for my Vista 64 bit I start GTA4 but I can't SAVE the game because my tags aren't linked because the server is down! Arrr! Had to get up and register my Windows Live tag before work this morning.

The graphics are awesome and the physics are much better. When you crash your car head on, you fly out of the windscreen. Already found a bug though, the ten pin bowling doesn't work.

Keith, saw you playing it on Steam last night. Can you connect to the windows live server through STEAM?

Ed

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 pm

Nah no GTA IV for me - my card doesnt work with it. Havent had an opportunity to try the fix Piers suggested yet. Almost think I might put it to one side till post xmas when I pick up the new graphics card but will see. Sure they will have a fix for it over the next couple of days.

Update - tried the new drivers but couldnt get past the load screen with the characters. Might not be the best $70 or so I haver ever spent.

Keith

Piers

Post by Piers » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Rockstar have worked with Nvidia to get the new drivers, 180.84 out in double quick time - might be a safer bet than the guru3d 180.70 drivers, I'll give them a go (not that the guru drivers were bad - the game was playable but I wouldn't want to get into a gunfight...)

Rockstar support page

Ed

Re: GTAIV Video glitches and install problems

Post by Ed » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:20 pm

GTA4 is v good, much better than the others. The car physics are excellent and the MA rating is appropriate.

You can now take cabs everywhere instead of driving and there is a quick option to replay missions. It has crashed only twice since I bought it.

Piers

Post by Piers » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:46 am

I've had no problem with the bowling. The physics are much more realistic than previous games - you can't take a corner at full speed and hope to get around it just by touching the handbrake, each car handles differently (I advise staying well clear of the Perennial). I like the zone of police chase idea, which is larger depending on how high your wanted level is.
I managed to get across to one of the locked islands simply by crashing my car into the barrier and being hurled out the windscreen across the barrier.
The cops came to see if I were alright and when I took off and ran down the bridge, the entire map became a wanted zone. It was kinda cool seeing the pink mist coming off my back as I ran from their gunfire...
I can play it tolerably well but I'm still hoping for that SLI patch to improve the textures.

Ed

Post by Ed » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:23 pm

yes, i worked out the bowling aswell. I like driving the SLK Shafter [Compressor] and the humemer is good for driving on top of other cars. The police were chasing me until I had a 3 star wanted level and then I did a stunt jump and the police hummer followed me on the stump jump. I didnt have enough speed on the jump and the car landed on top of a petrol station. Also, if you swim across islands, a five star wanted level shows up and the police boats come to kill you.

If you cross the road and get hit by a car your blood splashes on the windscreen.

Piers

Post by Piers » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:58 am

Rockstar have release a patch - it's only 32MB so it's a quick download.
Framerates seem much better and the game is more fluid, but it's not an SLI patch, I still can't up my draw distance but the aniso works really well - I've bumped it up to highest with no issue(they call it filter quality or something).

Fraps is giving me rates between 28 and 60 fps now, I'm using the 180.84 drivers as well.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:50 am

Well after installing the patch, using drivesweeper and installing the latest NVIDIA drivers I got it working last night.

Unfortunantly it looks so crap that I dont really want to play it - will give it more of a go post upgrade.

Keith

Piers

Post by Piers » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:09 am

There's a new patch - 1.0.2.0 - nut I haven't been able to try it out properly yet; a brief run before my DVD drive died emboldened me to turn up the settings a bit.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:00 pm

The latest patch 1.3 makes a big difference - turning shadows off bumps the FPS from playableish - 25 to 30 FPS to reasonable 35 to 40 with the odd drop to 30.

Keith

Piers

Post by Piers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:00 pm

KRaM wrote:The latest patch 1.3 makes a big difference - turning shadows off bumps the FPS from playableish - 25 to 30 FPS to reasonable 35 to 40 with the odd drop to 30.

Keith

You tell me that and I only have 3 missions to go?
I've just updated to 1.0.3.0, I'll try it out tomorrow.
I'd found that dropping shadows to low let me ramp up the draw distance considerably, but I went back to a more balance setup after a while.