GTAIV

All things Grand Theft Auto and its many bastard offspring
KRaM
Clan Poet

Re: GTAIV

Post by KRaM » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:43 pm

Well Ed will have a little more time to make sure his new machine is working - release date pushed back to 2 December - probably dont want to go up against Left 4 Dead.

Keith

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:30 pm

Do we have any idea of what sort of real machine spec we will need for this. AM I a now show with my now 2.5 year old AMD 4200 X2 with an ATI X1950Pro. It plays COD4 maxed out.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:36 pm

Maybe it's not even worth worrying about now that "Yahtzee has spoken"
sr2grgta.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Post by Piers » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Mort wrote:Maybe it's not even worth worrying about now that "Yahtzee has spoken"

...except that I'd hope [BB] players aren't dickheads who want their avatars to take their clothes off and thrust their hips at old ladies.

Piers

Post by Piers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:56 am

Well, I pre-ordered it at EB yesterday, I was always going to buy it anyway.

(Thanks Jeff for the EB Games gift card, which I've been saving for this day - 20% off for preorders, so I still have a bit on the card too.)

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:54 am

Whens the official release date?

Keith

Piers

Post by Piers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:30 pm

EB has it listed as 21 November

Ed

Post by Ed » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:03 pm

I also preordered today, EB said they would have it on the 21st.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:26 am

Sorry boys:

On the Grand Theft Auto IV PC Movie Editor [November 19, 2008, 09:08 am ET] - Share - 10 Comments
Updates to the PC section of the Grand Theft Auto IV Website offer some new information about the upcoming Windows edition of Rockstar's open-world action sequel, including word that the game will be released on December 3 in Europe, while it is still due on December 2 in North America. There is also a feature on the video editor in the PC edition, describing how you can splice together in-game movies, add titles, transitions, and music for your own feature films. They show off the power of the editor with some sample machinima movies set in Liberty City, showing off such diverse activities as driving, bowling, shooting, and spying on girls. The clips are linked to the Rockstar Games: Social Club TV, which is where gamers will be able to upload their own clips and view other player's movies.

Gives me a bit of time to enjoy Left 4 Dead.

Keith

Ed

Post by Ed » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:57 pm

I went to EB today and they said they're getting it on the 4/12

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:26 pm

Its popped up on Steam too - no dollars yet.

Keith

Piers

Post by Piers » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:51 pm

It's on "Can I run it?" now as well - http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

I pass the minimum except for .3GHz of CPU

To pass recommended, I need:
  • a new CPU - AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz or an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz
  • more RAM (I 'only' have 2GB)
  • maybe a new video card - 512MB NVIDIA 8600+ or ATI 3870+ (although it may not have taken into account I have two of them).

...so I'll be looking at a new motherboard, CPU & RAM - Phenoms seeem to be a much better deal than Quad Core, what do you guys think?

KRaM
Clan Poet

Post by KRaM » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:04 pm

I pass the minimum too but will be going the graphic card upgrade for Christmas.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Post by Mort » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm in "whole new PC completely and utterly" territory :(

Dual Cores are pretty much the go for most uses. Unless you are doing stuff you know involves lots of crunching like non-stop video encoding, Folding@Home, Ray-Tracing etc then dual core should meet your needs fine.

The three core AMD chips are still a bit of a "meh" in my book. Intel is currently my pick as they are well and truly winning in the price/performance department. AMD won't have anything to compete till end of 2009 according to their latest roadmaps.

Piers

Post by Piers » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Mort wrote:I'm in "whole new PC completely and utterly" territory :(

Dual Cores are pretty much the go for most uses. Unless you are doing stuff you know involves lots of crunching like non-stop video encoding, Folding@Home, Ray-Tracing etc then dual core should meet your needs fine.

The three core AMD chips are still a bit of a "meh" in my book. Intel is currently my pick as they are well and truly winning in the price/performance department. AMD won't have anything to compete till end of 2009 according to their latest roadmaps.

True, but the cpus I'm most likely to *actually* buy are pretty similar according to Tom's Hardware in benchmark tests.
Sure, Intel is winning all the top accolades, but who pays $500 - OR $2150 - for a CPU?

The Phenom x4 9350e 2.0GHz is $60 cheaper than the Core 2 Duo 8400 and they pretty much split 1st & 2nd place when compared.
The real problem is finding a good SLI mobo for an AMD cpu, I'm thinking the Asus M3N78-Pro is the go for $179 (Arc in Chatwood, the prospect of going all the way to IT Estate is too daunting). They don't have a Gigabyte Nvidia mobo listed at all.