Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Reviving the EA/DICE/PunkBuster patch updating experience!
Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Postby Brad » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Summary: You want this game, but you'll hate yourself.
Longer version:
Currently playing the beta, (ie beta by DICE/EA standards) so it crashes to desktop regularly and there are still some things not implemented.
However: I played for a few hours on a server with 200 ping and it was eminently playable.
Plusses:
+ you can blow stuff up - lots of stuff - almost everything in the game.
+ once in a squad, you can spawn on any live member - very good for encouraging squad play (only up to 4 in a squad), eliminates spawn rape
+ lots of smoke, shock effects (eg - everything whites out and you lose hearing if too close to an explosion)
+ blowing stuff up.
Minuses:
- did I mention it is buggy?
- really good squads will dominate completely due to the spawn on any member - this is a quasi capture the flag thing.
- needs balancing a bit - snipers seem to get a lot of kills, and are quite hard to spot due to the better graphics and cammo.
- still not as pretty as MW2.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Postby Mort » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:52 pm

Anyone else on playing the beta? Thoughts on minimum specs?

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:50 am

colour me interested - subject to my PC being able to play it.

Keith

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:09 am

Yeah - can't say that I can test that bit.
I am playing it with everything maxed at 19x12 - but then I'd better be able to...
I was quite surprised by how well it handled the high ping connection. It didn't seem to be much impediment at all.
Of course the reason why I had to play on a high ping server is that the server browser is broken and the "play now" just dumps you into any server. This is a DICE game after all.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:14 am

ahh the thought of going back to playing and EA game again - I've been good - treat me bad!

Keith

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:31 am

System Requirements:

-Minimum

Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: 256 MB Video Card (GeForce 7800 GT / ATI X1900)
DirectX®: DirectX 9, 10, and 11 support
Hard Drive: 15 GB

-Recommended

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad or higher
Memory: 2GB
Graphics: 512 MB Video Card (GeForce GTX 260/ ATI Radeon 4870)
Controller Support: Support for Logitech G15 and G19 keyboard LCDs in multiplayer

Apparently the game is quite CPU intensive - the number of cores makes a material difference to framerates according to unreliable forum spam.
Just noticed that there is a hardcore mode for some servers - which changes the gameplay dramatically.
Also, the beta doesn't have the high detail textures - the final game will look better. (note that the beta is 1.4gb for one map - the full game is going to be huge)

B

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 am

couple of games now seem to be going down that path - GTA4 is pretty much unplayable without quad cores from what I have read - certainly marginal on my dual core machine with the 4850 graphics card. Might upgrade the CPU - $200 might mean I get another year out of this machine.

Keith

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:21 pm

There is some benchmarking that someone has done in the OCAU thread - about page 121.
Interesting that is shows a big jump in framerate for 4 cores, but also a big jump in framerate for hyperthreading. This game is obviously spawning large numbers of threads to keep things running.

B

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 pm

I hope my quad core make up for my lower end GPU
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:58 pm

i am up for it. my new PC will handle it... :finga:

download from EA?

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 pm

DJDrDamage wrote:download from EA?

If you pre-purchase from Steam you get a beta key, and steam will download the beta too.
I had problems getting the beta to run from steam, but if you go into the directory and run the exe file it seems fine.

It's US$50 by the way - guarantee it is cheaper than buying it through EB...
Course it was cheaper for me a few days ago that it is now the dollar has taken a dive today.

Scott will be pleased to know that knifing and collecting dog tags is still part of the game. To collect the dog tag, you have to go back and stand over the body. You quite regularly get killed trying to collect the tag :axe:

B

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:15 pm

Brad wrote:Scott will be pleased to know that knifing and collecting dog tags is still part of the game. To collect the dog tag, you have to go back and stand over the body. You quite regularly get killed trying to collect the tag :axe:

B

with the number of times I get knifed by Scott then his Kills to Deaths ratio may go up...

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:08 pm

...Or down. People will just follow you around waiting for me to knife you, then when I come to collect your tags they'll kill me instead :(

As for the problems running from steam, apparently turning off the Steam Community or overlay thing when playing fixes that problem for that time being.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:23 am

Mort wrote:...Or down.

yep... typing in a hurry and was thinking deaths to kills originally...

People will just follow you around waiting for me to knife you, then when I come to collect your tags they'll kill me instead :(

then just hang around me, let others knife me and then kill them.

I can imagine a vicious cycle of knivings (knifings?).
victim< knifer1 < knifer2 < knifer3 <...

Piers

Postby Piers » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:33 pm

Brad wrote:Yeah - can't say that I can test that bit.
I am playing it with everything maxed at 19x12 - but then I'd better be able to...
I was quite surprised by how well it handled the high ping connection. It didn't seem to be much impediment at all.
Of course the reason why I had to play on a high ping server is that the server browser is broken and the "play now" just dumps you into any server. This is a DICE game after all.

B

Server browser worked fine for me, Brad. Could that be a Win7 issue? Graphics are great! - I played 19x12 on high. The interface is a bit different to BF2 and I forgot to check the key mappings so couldn't go prone but otherwise had a good time, even if not massively effective.

I also had no problem running from steam

Return to “BF:Bad Company 2”