Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Reviving the EA/DICE/PunkBuster patch updating experience!
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Postby Mort » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 pm

So is anyone playing it yet?

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:13 am

I am a little bit torn now as I have played MW2 enough now to get why Jeff and Brad like it so much.

Keith

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Looks like I missed out on the limited edition, deceived by incorrect stock level. Are all those unlocks of the LE going to make owners of the regular game get carved up on the battlefield? If so I might pass on the whole thing so as not to get screwed over by EA one more time for old times sake.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:16 pm

I've just ordered it through STEAM. Couldn't be bothered trying to chase down physical copies in the hope of saving $10. At least with STEAM it has an easy option to allow you to back the games up to DVD.

As for the unlocks, I imagine they will either be available during the ranking up process, or there will be better versions of them anyway so they might only give you a small advantage to start with.
Last edited by Mort on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed to past tense

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:40 pm

let me know what you think

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:13 pm

Going to start the download at midnight (unmetered time) so won't try it till tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm tring out every single other game I have on the new monitor at 1920x1200 with all settings maxed out.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:50 am

I have done the same, so I guess we will all find out soon enough. Hopefully my video card will be OK with BC
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Brad » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:03 am

Been playing it for a bit over the last few days.
The actual game is fantastic, and gives a scale way beyond 2142. The maps feel huge and it is good to be back to 32 player games.

However, this is a battlefield game...
THe server browser is completely borked. It takes about 3 minutes to refresh, the ping doesn't work, so even after 3 minutes you have a list of 3000 servers, with no way of sorting for ones close to you. There seem to be very few Australian servers at the present as well. A patch is promised, and according to forum gossip, a lot of the Aussie ISPs have been asked to not run servers until the patch comes through.
For the time I've spent playing I've had as much time trying to get into a game as actually playing the game.
Don't know why they bothered with the Beta program if it wasn't good enough to spot obvious problems like this.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 am

Brad, you beat me to it. Had the game 10 minutes.

So far I have had

CD key error
Text overlaps in the game
Hit the play now button and pray it finds a game, mostly you just sit around wondering if its working.
The browser is shite
Game play looks interesting but is hard to assess as server pings are so bad
My promo key for the extra unlocks appears not to work

Gotta luv Battlfield, long live MW2

Jeff

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Well thats my decision made for me then - Valve are already reeling from my post purchase boycot of L4D2 and I just dont think I should put EA through this pain as well. Will stick with MW2. Have started to use teamspeak when playing as well if anyone else is interested in hooking up on line.
Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:47 pm

All locked and loaded...

** WOW **

Started playing the single player mission to help tune my graphics settings, and I gotta say this game looks absolutely amazing.

No issues with registering any of my keys or promos, server browser is working, but lack of ping information is bad and searching for servers I only managed to find one gamearena hosted server.

First game I joined I got kicked by PB for some unknown reason, second game I "lost connection" (and I was top of the leaderboard as well :( ) I've just updated my PB client, but it didn't look like there was an update for BC.

So far it's very playable for me. 60fps with 1920x1200, turned down to Medium detail for a few things and 2xAA and filtering. Starting a nice clean map with pretty buildings and then watching the whole world fall apart around is is frikin hilarious. Of course hilarious in a "war is bad" kind of way.

UPDATE: it seems most of the PB connection issues seem to be server related. I have no problems on some servers, and other I get kicked in about 10 seconds of starting.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Yeah, PB out of that gamearena game earlier

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:49 pm

So is it good enough to warrant it's own forum section for discussion?

(Do you want one for MW as well?)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:24 pm

I just did a PB update and there is a BC2 update now. Their website is pretty overloaded at the moment.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 pm

BC2 is doing a largish update right now. I was playing 1 hour ago and now it wants to update.

Jeff

Return to “BF:Bad Company 2”