Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Reviving the EA/DICE/PunkBuster patch updating experience!
Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Postby Jeff » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Ok, now I'm starting to spam. After update I still see no ping in the list, all the gamearena servers are always full, and PB still kicked me off one game.

However

I played a playable, just, game, for an hour on a German server and I had a ball. Rush is a great game and the maps and destructible environments are amazing. I was sniping OK for me, even killed people with my handgun.

Good fun, lets hope they get it sorted
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Where/how does this update thing you are talking about happen? Did you get it through STEAM or is it happening in-game?

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:17 am

Happened through steam when I started up the game. I cannot see any changes in the game.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:34 am

Mort wrote:So is it good enough to warrant it's own forum section for discussion?

(Do you want one for MW as well?)

Yup. I haven't tried MW yet, not likely to for a while now I'm into BC2. Just got massacred by an attack chopper in singleplayer though...

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 am

The latest update has the server browser working a bit better. At least I'm getting pings showing up, which I can sort by. However, they still haven't let the Aust ISPs start their servers back up. There is only about 6 servers locally at the present time.
However, the good news is that the game is surprisingly playable on a 200 ping (ie US) server. I had no problems with the ping last night.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:59 am

No pings in my browser after the update, I have also being playing ok on long ping servers

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am

I haven't noticed any updates, so either it happened when I wasn't watching or the version I downloaded already had it. I don't get any pings showing up though.

Lately I've just been letting it find a server for me, and every server I've connected to has played fine. I totaly suck and have nfi where I'm supposed to be going half the time, but it's not an EA issue for a change. I also played a bit of 2142 as well and punkbuster is behaving itself fine for me in both games now. Trying to decide if I want to install BF2 or not in case that breaks things.

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:10 pm

I've noticed a couple of changes during the day - EA servers were down briefly this morning.
Pings now show up and the browser is good enough to use. There are a few more servers in Aus starting to show up, but still haven't got the big ISPs yet.
Playing most of the afternoon - having a great time. This game is so much better than 2142 - almost as good as BF2SF. The rush levels are a blast.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:05 am

Brad wrote:I've noticed a couple of changes during the day - EA servers were down briefly this morning.
Pings now show up and the browser is good enough to use. There are a few more servers in Aus starting to show up, but still haven't got the big ISPs yet.
Playing most of the afternoon - having a great time. This game is so much better than 2142 - almost as good as BF2SF. The rush levels are a blast.

B

I had a fantastic time playing conquest on a 16 player server last night with a ping of 32 - I has a round in which I scored 3870 points!
Bloody fantastic, despite Tash calling from another room for half the round.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:23 pm

OK I can see what all the fuss is about now - have learned a couple of the maps and am officially hooked. Haven't had that "just one more game" experience for a while now and am having to have some nice quiet time after each session to calm down.

Mort

Piers

Postby Piers » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Don't play with my mind, Mort.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 pm

OK, all you cool kids are playing so I will join in too.

Keith

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Loaded it up this evening and had a burl. First impressions:

ooh pretty - my machine handles it no problem
dust everywhere
hey cool I can destroy that building
move much slower than MW2
have to pump a lot more bullets into people than MW2
why is the text on the screen so tiny
like the spawn on teammates feature
everyone looks the same - have problems telling freind and foe but then I had that too with MW2 originally

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:15 am

the first lot of guns you get are pretty crap. I'd suggest you try to avoid getting right in the middle of the action. Either try sniping or hang around the outside picking people off. Try to pick up other players kits to improve your firepower. Once you start ranking up the unlock make a huge difference.

Text is tiny so it doesn't get in the way? There isn't really much to see anyway as ar as I can tell.

The easiest way is to look over their heads. No green/blue means they aren't on your side. It takes a while to work it out, and I'm still having troubles remembering which side I'm supposed to be on at the end of each round when you switch sides.

Brad

Postby Brad » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:47 am

Note that most of the australian servers around seem to be hardcore. Although hardcore settings also vary between the servers too - some have absolutely no HUD, others seem to have partial. The damage required to kill someone is much less, which gets over a lot of the transition issues from MW2. Yes you still move slower, but approach it more like the graveyard map - there will be snipers everywhere, so take cover and move slowly.

You've also got to remember that the accuracy difference between standing and crouching in BF is much greater than MW2 and a headshot is a much easier kill. Try to get back into the habit of crouching and aiming your shots for the head and firing in short bursts. The short bursts is important. If you just stand and spray, you can miss with an entire clip.

MW2 makes you lazy, particularly playing hardcore, where anywhere on the body is a one shot kill.
B

Return to “BF:Bad Company 2”