Dogtags and Knife kills

As if you need any more evidence of our tragic Battlefield addiction
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Dogtags and Knife kills

Postby Mort » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 am

Got my first knife kills last night. The animation from the kill is cool, but I am going to get real tired of it pretty quick I think. I've also found a small downside. While the bloody animation is playing you are left vulnerable to being shot.

I jumped two guy thinking I'd knife them both, but by the time the animation from the first kill had finished the second guy had moved away and shot me, so it seems like there needs to be a rethink in strategy for these situations. shoot one guy knife the other perhaps?

I've also read conflicting comments about how the knife works, but this seems to be the most comprehensive one I've found
http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Knife#Battlefield_3

I'm still not sure it's correct though. I had my knife key bound to a mouse button and used that for both my kills. In both cases I have the dog tags from the players, and from memory both were one hit kills. One was a sniper I snuck up on, the other I sneaking up on but he turned around and it ended up being a face-on kill (after which I got shot)

One thing I'll have to look for
The knife has a special little feature for new users, if there is no target, or target is not in range, then the knife points vertically down when equipped. However when the target becomes in range the knife often moves to a horizontal position to indicate that the target is within range, this makes it much easier for newcomers to know when to knife (the range for selected knife attack is greater than quick knife, so do not press quick knife and remember that in a knife fight).

I think more practice is required.

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Dogtags and Knife kills

Postby Brad » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Very usefull to know - would have been even better to know it a week or two ago. It explains how Keith ended up getting a knife kill on me despite the fact that I was the one sneaking up and got first swing (I'm so ashamed) - I have my mouse key bound to quick knife, so I wasn't doing full damage.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Not sure if I got your tags or not - dont think I did as I was using the quick attack. Need to figure out where the dog tag collection is on battle log.......

Dont worry about the animation getting old - I still find it satisfying.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:20 pm

In battlelog, click yourname to go to your stats, click the "Dog Tags" tab and then set the filter to "taken".

It show you have taken 7 tags, but I can only see the most recent person. Not sure if you can see all of them or not.

the number of tags you have doesn't match the number of knife kills. In fact I think it is double because there are two different tags you can customise and it tracks how many of each type of tag you have collected.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Yeah but I cant see how to get a list of the players who the dog tags belong to which is annoying. Looking on google I think they have removed that feature.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:42 pm

That's a drag. I wonder if they do have it recorded, but just not exposed in the web site stats. Being able to track "friendly" knife kills was always a worthwhile thing.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 pm

All the knife kills (4 so far) I have managed were all single hit kills, yet I seem to have only registered 3 sets of tags. I know at least one animation showed a slightly frontal type kill and others have been totally from behind. I haven't worked out what the trick is yet about whether that two hits/single hit and when you score tags thing is correct.

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:40 am

I think DICE is trying to stamp out "knife only" servers by not rewarding you unless it was a knife kill from behind.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:47 am

It still counts as a knife kill but you just don't collect tags from it. As Keith mentioned, they also don't seem to be tracking all of the people you've knifed (knived?) and only show that last person. Or maybe they just aren't making the full list visible (yet).

Brad

Postby Brad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:55 am

I've seen 4 or 5 different knife kill animations now. There is a very nice one when you take out a sniper lying on the ground. You drop on top of them, roll them over and shove the knife in their throat... Not only is it good from first person, the animation watching someone else get the kill is also great.

Since I remapped the mouse key to select the knife, rather than a quick knife strike, I think every kill has been a single hit, resulting in tags. Now I've got in the habit of select knife then strike with the main mouse button, I don't think it is any slower than the "quick strike" and certainly seems more reliable getting a kill.

I seem to recall reading that to get the tags, you have to wait after the kill until the tags show up. If you are in the middle of a fight and trying to run away as soon as you get the kill, I don't think it gives you the tags - you need to wait that extra second and see the animation of ripping the tags off the corpse.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:00 am

I've seen slightly different animations as well, and some you see the tags coming off in the same motion of the kill.

I think I've just mapped my middle mouse button to the knife kill and it seems to have always been single hit kills, I might nbeed to check that again. For some reason I can't map the side buttons on my G700, BF3 just doesn't seem to recognise them.

jonnypunk
One of the guys
One of the guys

Postby jonnypunk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Brad wrote:I've seen 4 or 5 different knife kill animations now. There is a very nice one when you take out a sniper lying on the ground. You drop on top of them, roll them over and shove the knife in their throat... Not only is it good from first person, the animation watching someone else get the kill is also great.

Since I remapped the mouse key to select the knife, rather than a quick knife strike, I think every kill has been a single hit, resulting in tags. Now I've got in the habit of select knife then strike with the main mouse button, I don't think it is any slower than the "quick strike" and certainly seems more reliable getting a kill.

I seem to recall reading that to get the tags, you have to wait after the kill until the tags show up. If you are in the middle of a fight and trying to run away as soon as you get the kill, I don't think it gives you the tags - you need to wait that extra second and see the animation of ripping the tags off the corpse.

Brad

Yeah! you have to wait until the tags show up.!

Return to “Battlefield 3”