Essentially, after playing on a server that changes maps, after a new map loads (not just a restart of same map) the memory consumption slowly increases to the point that there is no free memory and the machine starts paging like crazy. Frame rates start to lag just before it hits critical and when it kicks in rates drop to 1fps before the system effectively grinds to a halt and it takes minutes to do anything.
The only remedy is to quit the game and restart the computer when you notice the memory use climbing, or when the paging happens it's a tap of the reset button.
It has been suggested that it's an AMD related graphics card issue. The majority of people reporting it seem to be using AMD GPU's, but there have been some NVidia people as well which suggests there may be different issues with the same symptoms.
This seems to be the best support thread on the issue so far, although there are many all over the place:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Battlefield-4/ ... -p/1951455
Suggested fixes and how they worked for me:
- Disable DirectX 11.1 in the BF4 config - Still happens
- Update Realtek network drivers - Tried several, still happens
- Run 32bit version of BF4 - Still happens
- Run in Win7 Compatibility mode - Still happens
- Disable Network Data Usage Monitor - Still happens (sc config NDU start= disabled)