Loving my new modem

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Loving my new modem

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:09 am

So after some really major connection issues over the last month, a tech finally came out end of last week, waved his magic multi-meter and fixed my connection.

As part of the "testing" I decided to go get myself a new modem. Now that he line seems stable I started tweaking the settings and have now bumped the sync from 7500/812 to 9480/812. The upstream seems to max out at 812... I think it's an Optus thing.

Not my absolute fastest speed ever, but as long as it stays stable I should be able to cope until my NBN fibre connection is running

Here's a picture showing what my connection was like before they fixed it
Bad_ADSL.PNG

And here's a link to my network monitor status, updated every 15 minutes :)
http://www.ip1.net.au/admin/local.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ed
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Loving my new modem

Postby Ed » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 pm

Which modem did you get?

I was having wireless network problems for a while which I described in a prev post so I bought an Apple Airport express to put up the other end of the house to extend the range of the wireless network, works like a charm...

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 pm

I got a Billion 7404VGPX. I haven't set it up as my VoIP ATA yet until I was sure my connection issues had been resolved. I'm undecided if I will use the wireless component of it as I already use another wireless router, and I'd have to start mucking around with VLANS to use the wireless on the Billion with the way my network is setup. Not really a problem though as I didn't buy it for it's wireless capability.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Its been ages since I have done one of these. Faster than last time, Optus must be giving me more speed.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Optus bumped up the standard speed a while ago I believe.

What makes me really jealous though tis seeing the speedtest that some people already connected to the NBN are showing... bastards.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:13 pm

My turn..........

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:47 pm

After two days of absolutely no internet (aargh!!) while Telstra fumbled around the Terrey Hills exchange looking for the light switch (have they re-hired Gary???) I'm back with this:

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:36 pm

My speeds have been slowly increasing since the Telstra guys did the same for me. I'm at my highest sync ever (10400/812). Unfortunately stupid bloody Optus insist on fixing the max upstream sync to 812 rather than letting it go to 1024. Probably coz they didn't want their cable service to look bad, although that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:38 pm

Fuck Telstra, my ADSL2 drops out every 10-15 minutes atm. Adrian, what did you do to fix your similar problem with TPG?

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 pm

This Adrian? or the other one?
well, the same goes for TPG- i sometimes drop out every 15 minutes now. always when i am in the middle of an online quiz for uni or when starting to get some scores in BC2...

Piers

Postby Piers » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:10 pm

I meant you, so I guess there was no solution?

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:26 pm

well, in truth i cannot remember what i said (getting old?) ! but i am thinking that i have no solution...
when it (TPG connection) is up my speed is pretty good (12.43/0.87) but only when up...

Brad

Postby Brad » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:19 am

Bastards. This is what happens when you are 3.5km from the exchange.
The place we are moving into next week is another 500m along the chain - we'll see how bad it gets.

We are spending 43bn just to improve my internet connection aren't we. Shame that fibre networking is still so expensive, otherwise I'd run fibre through the new house.

Brad
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Piers, I had a monitor program (The Dude) logging all my ADSL sync, attentuation and SNR values for a couple of weeks (see first post) and gave it to my ISP/Optus/Telstra when they tried to tell me they couldn't see a problem. After that they decided maybe I knew what I was talking about and they came out, tested a bunch of new pairs until they found a good set and finally fixed the problem. Took almost a month of "reset the modem, unplug everything, run isolation tests, new modem, change ADSL profile, monitor for 2 days... etc"

(Brad, You don't need fibre in the home, just run good shielded copper and it will be good for 1GB, and then good for 10GB when that kit comes out)

Piers

Postby Piers » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Well, Exetel recommended isolating the modem with no filter or phone and I got this.

but speedtest.net aways crashes my modem...

Return to “Web site Issues/suggestions/stuff”