Don't really care
14%

Total votes: 7

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Google Ads on the web site

Postby Mort » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:25 am

Just wondering what people think of having a google ad bar on the front page in attempt to raise some revenue (it won't be very much) to contribute towards server hosting and hardware costs. I don't really think it's going to make a huge amount, but it may allow us to buy little bits and pieces to keep things running better in the back-end.

We've had it on the "Stuff" page for a while (link in the navbar at top of the main pages), so you can seen the sort of thing I'm talking about there if you want to see what it might look like.

So far we have US$22.51 in the account, but you can't draw on any of it until you hit US$100.

Basically we can get "revenue" everytime someone clicks on one of the links, or if we add a google search bar, then if you use that to do searches it can generate more click through revenue on the search results as well.

DJDrDamage
Clan Pincushion

Postby DJDrDamage » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am

I generally find google ads to be ugly and oddly make me think a site is "dinky". But, the difference here is that we (and by "we" i mean our web page designers) can integrate the ads in a more aesthetic way. i hope.

also, anything that assists Scott keeping the sites alive and maybe for hosting our own server is worth giving try.

so I would say Yes with the proviso that the ads can be removed later if they are ugly or generate less traffic to the site.

I did not realise that click through from searches made via the google search bar on the Stuff page generates income. If so, then I say add one to the site. I would prefer that to the ads, anyway.

Jeff
Wielder of the holy hand grenade

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:36 am

Personally Scott I have not got a problem with it as you and Piers seem to always be doing stuff for us.

I would even ramp it up and say hey guys we need some stuff so can we have an annual BB subscription or parts bin donations or whatever. I'd be up for it.

Jeff
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Couldnt agree more with Jeff. You and Piers do all the work - you get to make all the decisions.

Always thought the only thing this site cost you was time but if its $ too happy to chuck in a couple of dollars your way.

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:18 pm

There's some minor charges around the hosting and domain name registration, but not enough to send me broke or anything.

My biggest irritation is simply around the limitations of the server hardware. The current server is so seriously underspecced for what we are trying to do, let alone what I'd really like to do, that it just annoys the crap outa me.

I've gotten some hand-me downs from Piers and Keith already, but I haven't been able to use them for upgrades yet due to server class driver issues for the donated hardware. The other reason I try not to make such a big deal is that the server isn't only used for BuddaBudda, it's also the server for all my alter-ego work as well and I don't expect you guys to subsidise me in that if I can help it.

I'll talk to Piers about a layout for a google search bar and/or ad banner on the front page, then I'll monitor it for a few weeks to see what "revenue" it creates and decide if it is worth keeping it or not.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:09 am

I've chucked some ads onto this page for you to look at.

http://www.buddabudda.com/index2.php

Personally I think the google search at the top looks pretty crap, but it's actually really good at searching the public sections of the forums :)

The two add blocks I think are out of the way enough that they won't annoy, and there's a differnce between the left and right one, so if we think we can handle it, let me know which is better for you.

KRaM
Clan Poet

Postby KRaM » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:24 am

Looks fine - can hardly see it. My god what where you doing up at 3.10 in the morning?

Keith

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:30 am

KRaM wrote:Looks fine - can hardly see it.
Well, I don't want it to be comlpetely invisible, otherwise you won't click on the ads if you see something interesting. We don't get money by just showing them, only when people click on them.

Remember, you aren't supposed to just click on them for the sake of raising revenue, as that is against the rules that I agreed to when I created the account, but if you see something that appeals to you, click away. Any/all funds will be used purely for BB related purposes if we ever actually get any.

KRaM wrote:My god what where you doing up at 3.10 in the morning?
My devotion to the BB cause is total and absolute and no physical limitations imposed on me by this meager construct of carbon based molecules and fluids will prevail in causing me to stray from that which is the one true way... and for some god-awful reason I was trying to beat Psyke at that bloody Tower game.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:42 am

As for thye google search bar, We could keep it there, but maybe Piers is better able than myself to make it "fit" better.

Piers
Comfortable with my sexuality

Postby Piers » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:58 pm

I've edited index2.php and the style sheet a bit to improve the look.
Note that the 200 width is wider than Firefox wants the columns to have, are there slimmer options from Google?

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:35 pm

There are different sizes. I just guessed those as being the closest fit. Let me know what dimensions you'd think we can work with and I'll pick a better fit...

Small square is the current size.

Piers

Postby Piers » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:38 pm

Mort wrote:There are different sizes. I just guessed those as being the closest fit. Let me know what dimensions you'd think we can work with and I'll pick a better fit...

Small square is the current size.

180x150 small rectangle

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Done, it's a simple change of the relevant size related numbers in the code...

You might want to centre them in the column or something.

I'm not sure we need include the google search unless people think it will be helpful. It works out at $0.01 everytime someone clicks through a result from the search, and I think it needs to be one of the "sponsored" results as well to work. In total, only $0.02 is from the search bar so it's not a money earner in any sense :)

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Wed May 09, 2007 11:35 pm

Yay, Go us! We've made US$2.48 so far since we added the google ads... I'll start planning the specs for that server upgrade first thing tomorrow morning.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Alright - up to US$30.98. Only two more years to our first payment!

Return to “Web site Issues/suggestions/stuff”