Considering getting an SSD?

Discussions about what to spend that hard fought for tax refund on
Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Considering getting an SSD?

Postby Mort » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Here's a small article doing some benchmarks and discussing a few of the key differences between types. This is why two different model drives with the same capacity can be significantly different in price.

http://www.circuitremix.com/?q=content/ ... p&page=0,0

(Speaking from current experience, I'm *very* happy with my OCZ Vertex3 128GB drive)

Brad
Comfortable with my sexuality

Re: Considering getting an SSD?

Postby Brad » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:09 pm

I was very happy with my OCZ Vertex until saturday. Total, unrecoverable drive failure with no warning at all. Tip for SSD users - keep a backup.
Whilst I won't have lost any material amount of data, it is a major PITA.

B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Mort
Alpha-Forum Whore
Alpha-Forum Whore

Postby Mort » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Backups are essential for ANY drive, but yes, SSDs more so. Even when a spinning disk fails, Murphy law dictates the only stuff you can't recover is the stuff you actually wanted.

Bad news about the failure. It would still be under warranty though wouldn't it? If so you will want to get your claim sorted out hopefully before any negative stuff comes about from their recent issues with accounting practices...

Brad

Postby Brad » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:13 pm

The last few failures I've had from spinning drives, have given me enough warning to recover the whole drive - either the smart data has sent up a flag, or they've failed briefly, but came back long enough to pull the data. The SSD, however, just gives I/O errors now. Working one day, dead the next.

I do have the receipt - we'll see how I go getting warranty claim.
B
I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Brad

Postby Brad » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 pm

The drive was 15 months old - Itestate need to send it away for warranty claim - expect a couple of weeks.

So now I also have a Sandisk Extreme 240Gb SSD - we'll see how this lasts - and if I can be more diligent about backups. I wasnt going to be without a decent computer for a couple of weeks.

I have to say that even with the increased failure rates a SSD is the single best upgrade anyone can make to a PC at present. The speed difference is just staggering. I just installed windows 7 and then Windows 8 over the top of it in about 3 hours.

B

Return to “Hardware”